Have you heard of this temper tantrum??

My daughter is 18 months but since she was about 7 months, when we tell her 'No' instead of throwing herself on the floor or screaming, she hits herself on the side of her forhead/face! We dont spank, we dont leave her with babysitters... We cant figure it out, is this some sort of phase?? I went to Borders and prob looked through 20 books and all they mention is when kids hit other kids... not themselves.

davesgirl86

Asked by davesgirl86 at 3:44 AM on Jul. 10, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My boys have done this many times. She could easily have seen it somewhere else (on TV, other parents with their kids) and it punishing herself. I've heard of kids doing that. We'd just tell our boys to not hit themselves b/c it's not nice and they need to be nice to themselves.
    smiley_netta

Answer by smiley_netta at 3:57 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• Im just glad somebody else has gone through this/heard of this! I was starting to feel worried :)
    Thank you smiley_netta!
    davesgirl86

Answer by davesgirl86 at 4:03 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• my daughter did that all the time when she was that age. I actually gave her a ball to squeeze when she got mad, and a big bear to hit. It really helped and she never has hit anyone other than the bear. Try it.
    SavannahsMom709

Answer by SavannahsMom709 at 9:06 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• my son purposely hits his head when he is angry and frustrated, i contsantly have to massage or rub his head so he stops doing it...some kids just like to hit their heads because they want to feel touch on their heads..i also use one of those massagers on his head..all of this has definatly worked for me!
    JTNMD711

Answer by JTNMD711 at 9:11 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• My daughter does this. She used to bang her head and pull out her hair but we managed to get her to stop doing that. Now she hits herself and we're working on stopping that too. It's a behavioral issue and is caused by low frustration tolerance. The best way to stop it is to be ontop of it. Every time she's about to hit herself you stop her, preferably before she gets that first hit. Eventually she'll learn new ways to handle her frustration like crying. My daughter is starting to scream more than hit. I'm trying to teach her other ways but still prefer the screaming to hitting or banging.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 9:50 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• "It's a behavioral issue and is caused by low frustration tolerance." -amethystrse

Our pediatrician said the same thing about our daughter doing this.  She gets on the floor and will bang her head on the ground.   A lot of kids do it, outgrow it.  I wouldn't worry about it much.  The only time she has really hurt herself by head-banging, she did it by accident.  You can see now that she still head-bangs, but does it softer.

Kauna

Answer by Kauna at 10:31 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• My son, who is 1 1/2 yrs old does this too lol. He will slap himself on his head and look at you all mad like it's your fault. I ignore when he does this because he stops and he's not really doing any harm. When I do respond to him hitting himself he only does it more often. I think it's just a phase that they will grow out of.
    07SLC

Answer by 07SLC at 11:33 AM on Jul. 10, 2008