How do I deal with my sometimes "uncontrollable" 3 and a half years old?

My son will be 4 in July, he's a very good child('most' of the time), he's very sociable, educated ('please', 'excuse me', 'thank you', etc. are no problems), he's very helpful (loves to help me around the house)and every time he sees somebody hurt, or in a bad mood, he quickly asks 'are you ok?' (mommy are you ok? papa are you ok? :D ) - all the time, at times it even gets annoying, but not in a bad way :) he's very cute. BUT, I do have problems with him too, first: he almost never wants to share, not with me, not with my husband, not with his friends. And also, another problem is that gets so defiant sometimes, that I find myself not being able to control him. And most of the times he does that in public, where he knows that I won't punish him. He listens to my husband so well, but doesn't really listen to me, which probably is my fault. And another problem is that he wets the bed at night, and it gets so frustrating. I don't punish him for that at all, but I have tried so many things (waking him up during the night ans sending him to pee, making him take the sheets off his bed and load them in the washer, giving a little guilt-trip, like "oh no, mommy has to laundry again, and mommy is so tired") but I feel like there has to be another way, I just haven't found it yet. Any advice, on how to deal with him? Maybe somebody has the same problems as me and knows how to deal with them?

NataliaWalle

Asked by NataliaWalle at 10:49 AM on Apr. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• Maybe talking to him before you go out and telling him that if he is good he will get a small reward,mine does same thing but if I do this it sometimes works.as far as the wetting the bed,when I cut off drinks like at 5 or 6 in the evenings with mine usually he will stay dry through the night,but if that doesn't work you may have to use pull-ups at night.
    sarah389

Answer by sarah389 at 12:42 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Mine does the same thing - It's the age.. You need to remind him he needs to share and if can't then he doesn't get to play with whatever it is. Taking it away a couple times will show him your serious. As for the fits, remove him from the store, give him a time out right there (i've done it in public) or swat his butt but DO NOT let him control the situation. Good luck!
    monshine2

Answer by monshine2 at 1:12 PM on Apr. 7, 2011