Bill to Include Gay Rights Movement Info in California Textbooks Clears Hurdle

The California Legislature could soon pass a bill that would require school textbooks and teachers to incorporate information on lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) Americans into their curriculum.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/04/06/include-gay-rights-movement-info-california-textbooks-clears-hurdle/

Do you feel that gay rights movement should be included in book?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 10:54 AM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• – collapse
    NO
    april_f

Answer by april_f at 10:58 AM on Apr. 7, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• No, in my opinion this is something you should PERSONALLY teach your children.
    kayalouise

Answer by kayalouise at 10:59 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Of course it should. Do you think black participation in the civil rights movement should be removed from textbooks? Why would you support one and not the other?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:59 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I do teach my son to accept everyone, but, I also think it's something that should be included in history books. It's important.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 11:00 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

Answer by NotPanicking

^EXACTLY!!
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 11:01 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

--

This ^. I couldn't have put it better myself. It's part of our history. Why shouldn't it be included? People are struggling to be heard and have the same rights as all our other citizen. It's a human rights and civil rights issue, and should be included as such IMO.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:02 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I may explain my opinion. I think all children should be taught the FACTS yes, but I think in class and when teaching each teacher, whether meaning to or not, would put their own personal spin on it. I think it would cause disruption in class between students as well who had different opinions. The facts on their own can never really be taught in situations like this, especially in places where religions that disagree with it are prevalent. It will become a 'gay bashing' lesson if taught in places like that.
    kayalouise

Answer by kayalouise at 11:03 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• yes I do
    dimpsedee34me

Answer by dimpsedee34me at 11:12 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Well Gays fighting for civil rights IS a rather large part of our current history so I don't see why it wouldn't be included other than it's still an ongoing occurence. It is similar to the civil rights issues that blacks faced in the 1960' and women faced in the late 1800's to early 1900's.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:40 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Absolutely. It's part of U.S. History
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 11:50 AM on Apr. 7, 2011