Are dirty babies happy babies?

My children are always in the dirt grass and look like raggamuffins. they do get baths every night but i cant seem to keep em happy if they arent dirty! i remember playing in mud pies and camping on the backyard but i feel bad seeing my kids look like hoodlums

Jessamine03

Asked by Jessamine03 at 11:06 AM on Apr. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• Nope, I think dirty babies are happy babies as well. Who cares what they look like at home. Playing in the dirt and grass is fun stuff!
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:07 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I agree my kids are happiest when they are dirty! LOL, I also give them baths every night, but as long as the weather is nice they can"t wait to get back out into it! :)
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 11:10 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• generally yes, most kids love to get dirty. my middle daughter does not.. lol she wouldn't even touch her smash cake on her 1st birthday. anytime her hands have the slightest bit of "ewwie" on them she starts crying, literally! but typically it's fun for kids to roll around in the grass/dirt. feeling different textures is also a way of learning for them.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:11 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• It always makes me smile when I see my kids like that. I like when I pick them up from daycare and they have grass stains on their knees and popsicle stains on their faces. My daughter had a play date last weekend. They played in the dirt the whole time. She was so cute and happy! Her sneakers will never be the same, but who cares.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:11 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Love it!
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 11:12 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• playing outside and getting dirty is fine...what i don't agree with is we know a family whose children are always looking dirty.
    Their nails...their hair is unkept...I understand they are little, but they are the same ages as my children and I like my kids
    to look presentable if we are going to the ball field or anywhere else...Get dirty ONCE YOU GET THERE! Don't look like you
    haven't had a bath in days.

The dirt under the nails...(they have a boy and girl) and it just makes me sick to see them eat with that dirt under their nails.
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 11:15 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I don't think it's that they're happiest WHEN they're dirty. They're happiest while they are GETTING dirty, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:16 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• DS is funny about dirt and having things on his hands, but he still loves doing things that get him dirty. I try to keep him clean when he's done playing in the dirt, keep his nails clean, etc. But he LOVES the process of getting dirty! I try to have specific clothes he can do whatever he wants in without me freaking out about stains and rips and such. Let them be kids! It's sad to see the parents who freak out if their kids get at all dirty. It's NORMAL for them to want to explore their world, and that often requires getting dirty!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:43 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I don't know that being dirty makes a child happy but exploring and having a great time does... If playing in the dirt and outside make your kids happy - Let em play, learn & explore!! Nothing a good bath can't handle :)
    monshine2

Answer by monshine2 at 1:04 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• kids are washable and their hands can be wiped up if their going to handle food, no biggie really, I have let my kids dig a hole and fill it with water then sit in it, they asked if they could take a mud bath and I told them to go ahead, they are only kids once
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 5:54 PM on Apr. 7, 2011