Would you supporting paying for kids sports rather than the district cut teachers?

In other words, you'd subsidize most or all of the costs of your child playing sports for school instead losing teachers.

jmpj8107

Asked by jmpj8107 at 11:08 AM on Apr. 7, 2011 in

• I'd prefer to keep teachers and lose sports. Children need to learn.
    kayalouise

Answer by kayalouise at 11:10 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Yes, their education is more important.
    CollegeMommy121

Answer by CollegeMommy121 at 11:10 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Education is WAY more important than sports. Let the parents who's kid's want to play them PAY for them.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:12 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Education is much more important that sports.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:13 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• My son plays hockey. I pay $1,400 already for him to play on the school team. I really can't afford anymore. He also plays tennis. That was only $25. I would agree to pay more for that.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:17 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• But would that really solve anything? It wouldn't be enough. Let's say they charged $400 instead of $25 for tennis. That wouldn't be enough money to save 1 teacher.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:18 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• My son lifts weights and we pay for his gym membership
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:34 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Most schools offer more than one sport and while they fund them to a degree, most of the funding for school sports goes to the football team. While I think sports are good, I fail to see why a schools budget must include funds for them, seem to me that those funds would be better used for actually educating the kids. I'm fully in favor of parents paying for the sports their kids want to take part in and they could supplement what they pay with fund-raising activities. My kids take part in sports, just not school sports, and we pay for it. I wouldn't have a problem paying for a school sport if they wanted to take part in it.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 11:38 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• You guys should watch "The Cartel"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Apr. 7, 2011

• mompam - that's a lot to play for the school. In our area there is *no* fee whatsoever to pay on a school team. You pay to play in outside leagues, but not for the school circuits. The external leagues don't even cost as much as you're paying!

OP - I would rather they require participant fees (with scholarship or waivers for those with financial need) than cut teachers. In our district, though, I'd much rather the administration (including general staff) and the teachers be willing to make contribution to their benefits (today they pay NOTHING) before we start taking any thing from the kids. Today our budget cuts go right to the student. the union yells that the government types are 'taking from the kids' but the government types are asking for staff contributions the union is not willing to make. if they did, the kids would be untouched. it's so sad.
    Anonymous