We don't have a washer/dryer....are cloth diapers still a realistic option?

When my 4 yr DD was in diapers....I'm not going to lie...that girl almost put us in the poor house! lol....and since I'm amongst friends I feel that I can admit to you that in some of those leaner times...I have stolen a pack or two of diapers....not the right thing to do, not something I want to teach my daughter that it's okay to do....but hey...that's what happened.

We are 100% more financially stable now but the idea of those expensive, expensive diapers all over again with this new baby is giving me anxiety attacks lol

We don't have a washer/dryer right now...I handwash our underwear and we take everything else to the wash house...in your opinion are cloth diapers still a realistic option?

Lucky209

Asked by Lucky209 at 12:05 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• They are still cheaper than disposables. Especially if you get the kind with liners you can pull out. You will use the outer part and only change the inner. You soak immediately in the pail. And if you can line dry or hang dry, that would help. You don't need billions, Enough to last 2 days. You wear one while washing out the other.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:08 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• yes you can wash away what you can i the sink and take the rest to the laundry mat or handwash them and air dry them outside. air drying much better anyways :)
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 12:08 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Definitely a realistic option. I did it with my first two; washing by hand and hanging up all over the house..far from ideal but its all I could do. AND - so far they haven't need any additional therapy because of it..Good Luck
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:08 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I use cloth diapers, my DD is 17 months, and am a SAHM. I have a HE washer and dryer in my house and still find myself grumbling over the task. I do a load every 1-2 days, we have 12 cloth diapers. (She wears disposable to bed at night). To get the good ones can be expensive up front, my favorite brand is Happy Heiny One size, pocket dieaper. It is kinda of a pain when she goes #2. You have to get the solid (if your lucky it's solid) into the toilet, and then I have a toothbrush and soap by the sink that I use to get the rest off the cloth part, then I have one hamper for the dirty diapers, and when I'm down to 2 clean ones left I wash the whole basket. I wanted them to last and look nice so I hand washed & hung dry for the first 2 months but I felt like that was ALL I WAS DOING! So I started to use the washer & dryer and much happier. Long story short, no I would not use cloth without a washer/dryer. Good luck.
    Pamarita

Answer by Pamarita at 12:13 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I was considering it myself since we live in an apartment. I found this little guy WonderWash I haven't had my baby yet, so I am still optimistic that it will help.

meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 12:16 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• YES! i lived in an apartment and took mine to a laundry matt it is a little harder if i were you i would get more diapers so you have to make less trips
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 12:11 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• That's up to you. I can't imagine dealing w/ cloth diapers w/out a washer and dryer! Of course I can't imagine dealing w/ them at all. I do 2 loads of laundry a day, and that's using disposable diapers. I use Target Brand diapers. They are the best off brand that I've found, and even though the prices went up a bit, and quantity went down, they are still the best deal for me anyway. Diapers are expensive, and I understand where you are coming from, but this is something that i would do some serious thinking about. Congrats!! :)
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 12:12 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Rinse the diaper out in the toilet and toss in a hamper then take a load to the wash house which shouldn't be more then $3 a load so it really is cheaper also you can handwash them if there is no money for the wash house that week. just use a tub of hot water and a little bleach...drain and refill tub with the rinse water then hang dry after they are well rung. I have done it it is work but better then nothing
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 12:12 PM on Apr. 7, 2011