Are you very involved in your children's education?

Some parents check homework, quiz their kids, etc.

My friend doesn't get involved in her sons' education. She says that she's not a teacher and it's not her job. I disagree.
In my opinion, all parents are teachers! Do you go to PTA meetings, check homework, etc. ?

Alexias30

Asked by Alexias30 at 12:16 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 in

• My DH and I are extremely involved in our children's education! I think all parents should be. Too many people think that teachers should raise their children, when that's the parent's job.

DS is in preschool, but when they do have "homework" we make sure to get it done. I volunteer in the classroom, we provide supplies for the class, we take part in fundraisers, etc. For my SD, she lives primarily with her mother (who has NOTHING to do with her education) and my DH has kept on top of EVERYTHING and has ensured that she gets the individualized attention she needs (she was recently diagnosed with severe ADHD after my DH took the issue to Court in 2009).
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 8:23 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Considering I homeschool I most definatly am involved in everything my son learns. Right now we are in our preschool yr so we dont hve to much going on but that will change through the yrs. Right now I try to keep things fun and short so we csn still learn but not get bored. I love that im able to be so involved with our children cause not everyone has the same oppertunity.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 12:51 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I have to be...we homeschool. It's important for any parent to be involved.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 9:06 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• yes, all the way
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 6:03 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• My son is only 3.5 but I am VERY involved in his education and will be until he graduates!! Education is very important to me! And he is a very intelligent little boy so I want to make sure he gets the best out of everything!
    NoahsMomma6807

Answer by NoahsMomma6807 at 12:17 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• We do homework with my dd shes in Kinder, my other son is in high school so I dont have to do alot for him. He gets good grades and is pretty self sufficient. I think it IS the teachers job to teach but parents have to also help with homework and all of that. However if the teacher sucks then it doesnt matter how much slack a parent picks up.
    As for PTA and all of that I am pretty involved, but I am more a member of the Optimist club in our community and do all the after school sports with my kids.

Answer by gemgem at 12:17 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I plan to be. Right now though, he's only 4 and he's attending a PPCD class for 3 hours a day. Nothing for him to bring home.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 12:20 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• i am very involved in my children's education i get constant e-mails from the teacher i help them with their homework i get involved with any activities going on their school, i pop in on them in class every once in a while and we talk about what they learned or are learning about that week at dinner. i know this has nothing to do with education but we also at dinner go around and say what the best and worst thing of the day was.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 12:20 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• We do homework together I am a college student so we have conversations about books help each other with opinions and essays correct and rewrite for each other.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:24 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• when my kids were uonger yes I checked their home work. and made them correct them if he or she had the wrong answer. Now I tend to help them out more. since the work is harder. But if they do need me to check something I do check it for them. And yes I still ask to see their tyest and quiz results , to see how they are doing. And I also keep in touch with their teachers to check on my kids to xsee how they are doing.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 12:25 PM on Apr. 7, 2011