Trying to find equality?

i am trying to find equal things or activities to do with all four of my children and this doesn't seem to be going very well i do something ranging from art projects to something out of the house for all four of them individually but this seems to keep slapping me in the face b/c lately all i get is that's not fair you didn't that with me? i have been doing things that i feel are age and interest appropriate for each one. i have 8 y/o/b 7y/o/g 6y/o/b and 5y/o/g please any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

amberpaiz

Asked by amberpaiz at 12:16 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• Take each to a movie of their choice
    Lunch / dinner dates to place of their choice
    If they don't think it's fair then they can pick that place, Moovie, etc next time BUT they made the choice so they have noone to complain to but themselves
    monshine2

Answer by monshine2 at 1:01 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Have you tried doing things w/ all of them together? They are pretty close in age so it shouldn't be too hard to find age apropriete things for them all at once. I think it's great that you are spending indiv. time w/ them too!! I've got a almost 13 y/o, almost 7 y/o, almost 3 y/o, and almost 1 y/o. LOL. All their b-days are coming up. So finding things to interest them all is next to impossible, but yes, I still deal w/ the "it's not fair" syndrome as well.....
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 12:27 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I think it is a mistake to always try to treat children "equally." I don't mean that you should not love them all the same, but the cry for equality means that each child is more interested in himself than he is in anybody else. This is never a good thing. We taught the family concept and that means that we do what is best for the family, and not necessarily what is best for one member of the family. A very wise man whom we know and who is the father of 7 children travels quite a bit. He purposely does not try to bring each child something each time he travels. Instead, if he sees something in which one child is interested, he will buy that for that child. When he gets home, he explains that one child is going to receive a gift and the other 6 are expected to be happy about that. He is teaching them to be unselfish and to be happy when someone else gets something. You could let one child pick for the whole family?
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:42 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Not sure, but 8, 7, 6, and 5?! holy smokes mama, do you get to rest?
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 1:15 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• sometimes!!
    amberpaiz

Comment by amberpaiz (original poster) at 5:07 PM on Apr. 22, 2011