TV as a chore and homework incentive.

My 7yr old has become very difficult to deal with. When he gets home from school all he wants to do is watch TV or play games. Lately I have been lax on our usually very strict TV rules. He cries and throws a fit when I turn off the TV and whines the entire time he does homework. Last night it was scouts and he threw a fit when it was time to go. He didn't want to go, and I know that the only reason was because he was in the middle of a video game. I made him go. He made a commitment, he is going to see it through.

So dh and I decided tv and games are off limits. However, we think that tv and video games can be a incentive. That if chores, homework, and good behavior are accomplished, that he can earn tv time. I'm wondering what do you think is appropriate?

Do you think that if he does good today, that I should allow time tomorrow for tv? if so how much?

Do you think it should be a weekly accomplishment? Like every day that he does well, he earns some minutes that he can use the next week?

Or should it be task by task? Like chores done = 10 min of tv time, homework 10 min and good behavior = 10, and that he can use it to his description (obviously only after all tasks are done at the end of the day), so that he can save up time and watch one show per day, or save it up for a movie or longer gaming time?

Just looking for ideas on how to do this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:18 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• This is how it is in our house. Two hours tv time a day tops (that includes tv shows/video games) My son is 11 tho.
    BUT he CAN NOT turn on that tube for any reason until all of his homework/chores are done.

ALSO... if he throws a fit and wastes my time about anything..then I take a bit of his time away.

So...he starts off in the positive..2 HOURS...act up..I take away 10 minutes, or 15 minutes ...and it just keeps on dwindling down as he continues with bad behavior.

Hope this helps!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:23 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I think that would work good. Have him earn it by being good. I do the same for my girls and I have three of them. I will let them earn it by being good. If they fight it gets turned off and they do whine as well but then I find them something to do and all is well again. Might try family fun mag. or website for good ideas on reward charts.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 12:27 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I don't think you can really let him earn it by 10 min incriments. I mean, because if he picks a show to watch, he really wouldn't get to see much of it. Maybe 30 minutes working up to 2 hours.

Thankfully my kids would rather be outside...well, except my middle (4 yo) child...but I do send them outside anyways.

I think earning it is good.
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 12:32 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Hmm, I think 2 hours for my son would be too much... unless he is playing the kinect, that way he's at least doing something. Would 1 hour be too much for a 7 yr old? Mind you I have 4 other children all younger, so I tv time usually ends up in a fight because they don't like the same thing.... maybe I can make it that he gets to choose 1 show?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:33 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• honestly in the summer, my kids are outside most of the day, but right now, its yucky outside. This winter has sucked. We ended up with closed to 6 ft of snow in our yard, the kids even said, "its too much snow mom". Now it snows at night and rains during the day, so we have slush. My toddlers don't care and i bundled them up and they spend the day outside, but the older two can't ride their bikes, so they aren't that interested. Soooo ready for the snow to be gone. its melting, and we only really have about 3 ft left, so maybe by mid may we will have grass!!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:36 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• My kids aren't allowed to turn on the tv until all homework and chores are done. Then, they have a maximum limit of 1 hour of "screen time" whether that's tv or video games on weekdays, 2 hours on the weekends.

Answer by missanc at 12:47 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I don't care if my kids watch TV BUT they have to have all their homework and chores done first. I have 4 of them and if they start fighting over the TV it goes off and they have to find something else to do. They can watch as much as they want if they're done with their stuff and are behaving. They only get to play video games if they are being really good (definitely not every day...although they're playing Rock Band right now). They watch way more in the winter when the weather sucks. In the summer they are outside.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:59 PM on Apr. 7, 2011