We can't afford Preschool

My daughter is almost 3.5 years old and she has been in daycare since she was 6 weeks old. Back in January I had my 2nd baby and we took our 3 year old out of daycare since I am now a SAHM, but I know she misses it. We can't afford preschool because we only have one income. My husband makes too much money for us to get assistance but the money he makes goes towards our bills. We are cutting back a lot of bills ex cable, cars, cell phones but that is so we can pay for our morgage, electric, gas, etc. Does anyone know what I can do to get her enrolled? Do they offer scholarships for preschool or any kinds of money where we don't have to pay it back.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:36 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• What about a mothers morning out program or MOPS?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:37 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• You could always just join a moms and kids play group for her to play and meet other kids. Preschool isn't a necessity.
    leejoy

Answer by leejoy at 12:40 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Also, look to see if there is a parenting program in your neighborhood. It is often ALOT less expensive, but you will have to go with her. I know it is hard. There aren't as many scholarships as you would think out there . . .
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:41 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Check with your local school district, they may have a Parents As Teachers Program, they will test her, and she may be able to get in for free. Our district has the PAT program,our boys went for free for 4 days a week half days... Just give your local district office and see.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:41 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• It's in a classroom setting, and they loved it. They actually went to the elementary school, and felt like big boys,lol...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:42 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Some do offer scholarships. Otherwise, other than social skills, there is no need for preschool. You can work with her on letters and numbers at home and for socialization, story time at the library, play time at the park, a once a week mothers morning out program.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:43 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Do the public schools where you live have preschool? Most of them do around here.
    Gecko85

Answer by Gecko85 at 12:43 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• MOPS is a great place not only for her to get some interaction, but for you to get out as well! Your local Parks and Recreation Department may have some low cost options, and many of them offer scholarships as well.

Answer by missanc at 12:44 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• The only pre school that is FREE r are programs through the public schools (if they have one). Kid's have to qualify for such programs though. I have my DD in a park district pre school program, for it was much more affordable than any other program around. I've been happy with it. You could also just find some play groups if DD simply craves socialization.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 12:44 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Hello See if they have a head start program in your area. Call local churches that have preschool programs and ask if they have scholarships. Call the local public school in your area and see if they have a pre k program. I sent my oldest daughter to a pretty expensive private preschool and she really didnt learn that much. I think if you take outings and teach at home she could probably learn more. If youre worried about her social interaction set up some play dates :)
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 12:49 PM on Apr. 7, 2011