why does my hair look & feel greasy like I haven't washed it in days?

This only started happening this past week. We recently got a water softener installed and that seems to be the only thing that might be doing it. I've tried a whole aray of shampoo's and with or w/o conditioner etc.. and nothing seems to change. I hate this feeling, and it seems to be getting worse. It feels greasy and unwashed, bu the only difference from if I actually hadn't washed it is the oiliness. The difference now is I don't have oils on my hands after running my fingers through it like I would if my hairy was just unwashed for a few days.

We recently moved to VA from AZ, where the water is extremely hard. I never had this kind of problem there. I also lived in PA about 8 yrs ago and also did not have this problem. What could be causing this? Any solutions?

ham0607

Asked by ham0607 at 12:40 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• tresemme deep cleansing shampoo really seems to work.. My hair was doing the same thing about a month ago and The very first time I used that it felt right again and I even used the conditioner and it still looked great :) good luck and I hope that helps
    mommato2boys79

Answer by mommato2boys79 at 1:46 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• The softener will make your hair and skin feel like that . . which is great for those of us who need help with frizz, but not great for everyone. AZ is also ALOT drier than VA. The dry air will flatten and contribute to that feeling. You may be a candidate for a light mousse to give some lift and texture.

Good luck! And I hope that you are loving you new city!
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:45 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Have you tried a balancing shampoo? Or normalizer? Sometimes your shampoo is either too much moisture, or too drying which makes the oil glands over react. Tea Tree is good for this problem as well. What ever you do don't constantly shampoo your hair. It makes it worse.

For daily use, buy a dry shampoo! Smells great! Sprays right on, and absorbs the oils and leaves the hair full.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:49 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Dont know but when I use certain types of shampoos it seems to make my hair feel greasy in less then a days time. It could be the water but I really couldnt tell ya. Hope you figure it out b/c that would drive me insane too =(
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 12:45 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Try using that new dry shampoo. I use it when I'm in a rush or have an early appointment.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 12:48 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• @Mel30248... Thanks! and yes, it's going to drive me INSANE if I can't figure out something to do about it.
    ham0607

Comment by ham0607 (original poster) at 12:51 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I never heard of a dry shampoo. Can I just pick up at a walgreens?
    ham0607

Comment by ham0607 (original poster) at 12:52 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• The water softener is part of the issue for sure. Use WAY LESS shampoo than you're used to using. I use a shampoo with tea tree oil and it's fabulous. Hope you can find the right solution!
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 12:52 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Sally Beauty Supply carries a few different ones. It should last you a long time. DOn't buy cheap drugstore brands, they make you create more oil.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:55 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Tigi makes a dry shampoo called Dirty Secret,, But I think you need to use a clarifying shampoo like Redken Hair Cleansing cream, also switch to something that is for body, like biolage volume spoo, hairstylist here, and water softners do sometimes do this, I would suspect that your shampoos have wax of some sort in them, not unusual for drug store shampoo, but too much for soft water!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:58 PM on Apr. 7, 2011