Can my son start pre-school this yr

My son is 3 he will be 4 Nov 9th. We live in Va not sure if different states have different rules on this. I know there are early learning centers that will def accept for pre-k but most of them require a pretty high tuition. How about public schools with pre-k programs, are theyre certain requirements for him to enroll this yr? Thanks!

AydensMommy1109

Asked by AydensMommy1109 at 1:13 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• In our area, ( northern Indiana) they have to be 3, and the preschool my son will be going to in the fall is $60 a month and is part of a daycare. ( my son will only be there for preschool) I'm not sure if the schools around here offer preschool any more since so many daycares are
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 1:16 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Public schools with preschool programs are usually for those at risk or developmentally delayed students and require testing into or income level requirements. Preschools sponsored through churches have no such requirements other than they be fully potty trained by that age and they would put him on the class according to his age and the state's date for starting kindergarten.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:18 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Where I live in eastern Ohio, the child has to be at least 3 years old before school starts to enter public pre-school (don't know the cut-off date, but believe it's in August). Also, unless there is an IEP involved for disabilities, the child also has to be potty trained.

What I would suggest doing is just call your local school district and ask.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:26 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Oh...and although it may be that way where twinsplus2more lives, public pres-school is not at all meant for "at risk or developmentally delayed students"...at least definitely not where I live. Here (eastern Ohio), that is more descriptive of Head Start. Pre-school is extremely common to enter your child in for at least the one year before Kindergarten....in fact, it is encouraged.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:29 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• We don't have any public preschool. It is all private.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:35 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Call the schools you're looking at and ask. It not only varies from state to state, but from school to school.
    Anonymous

• Around where I live a child has to be 3 years at the start of the "school" year (the same cut off as local schools for Kinders) and they also must be fully potty trained.
    My son could start preschool this next fall... but we have decided to do a more structured learning time at home this year and preschool next year.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:17 PM on Apr. 7, 2011