Do you think that the prescription companies like that people get addicted to certain medications? $$$$$

Your thoughts? Sometimes I wonder if they do like it. Xanax, vicodan, percoset, etc. I know there is a use for the medications, and they do serve a purpose. However, I wonder if prescription companies thrive off of the dependencies of others.

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 1:13 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Many medications are made BEFORE there is even a condition "identified" that it is supposed to fix. We are a nation of pill-poppers. Have you noticed how many commercials there are for various pharmaceuticals? It's the latest marketing approach, get the public aware so that we ask the doctors. Why else advertise to the general public? Have you researched how a drug comes to market? I have. Do you understand the enormous conflicts of interests involved? I do. Did you know that most doctors get their script "training" from the pharmaceutical reps themselves? Check out how many pharm reps are in your doctor's office next time you go. Did you know that those companies actively recruit former cheeleaders and football players to peddle their wares?

IMO, these are the real drug pushers that are endangering our society.
    Anonymous

• I don't think so. I'd guess that the number of people who use perscription drugs illegally pales in comparison to those who use them legally.

It's kind of like suggesting that gun manufacturers don't mind illegal gun ownership because more guns on the street means more money in their pocket.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 1:51 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• of course they do.... once people are hooked they will be on the medication for life and their tolerance goes up so they will start to take bigger and bigger doses.
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 1:20 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Of course, addicts mean money.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 1:56 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Up she rises...I'm not talking about anything illegal at all. I'm talking about general dependency. People will change doctors to get their pills if one stops prescribing it.

Comment by Musicmom80

Well then yes, i do.

UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:12 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I don't think that is their SOLE purpose for developing drugs.... But I am sure it has crossed through the minds of a few Pharma company execs... As well as a few Dr's, Hospitals, Clinics, etc...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:21 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• most strong pain killers are additcive saddly i'm on pain killers and i worry i will get addited but i'm btween a rock and a hard place :(
    and i'm only 28
    feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 2:25 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Adnilm have you been under a rock? What doctors are supposed to do and what they do are very different. Anything you BUY off the street pillwise still origionated from a pharmacy!! So prescrip companies still get paid.
    >>>>>>>>
    Your logic is flawed and weirdly circular. Physicians are not prescribing more pain medication, people who get the prescriptions are not taking what they sell. Physicians are monitored very closely on their narcotic scripts. They are not going to jeopardize their license so big pharma can make more money. Your assertion makes no sense. You obviously have no idea how closely monitored narcotics have become over the last few years
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 2:54 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 1:49 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 1:55 PM on Apr. 7, 2011