How do I thaw and cook a whole chicken?

I have a whole frozen chicken that I want to use to make chicken salad. I have it in the fridge right now to start thawing it, but I know it won't be thawed by tomorrow. So how can I speed it up tomorrow and be able to cook it by afternoon?

Also, once it's thawed, how do I cook it? Do I put it in a pan in the oven? Do I put liquid in the pan with it? What temperature do I put the oven and how long do I cook it?

Thanks ladies!

MichaelsMom330

Asked by MichaelsMom330 at 1:26 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I would put it in the kitchen sink in some cold water to thaw it more quickly. Just check the water and make sure it stays cold. To cook the chicken for salad, I would just boil it in some water with a little salt added. How long will depend on the size of the chicken. Just check it after about 45 minutes for doneness. You can also save the stock from the cooking and use it in soup or to cook some rice.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:29 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Silly question...by boil, do you mean to put it in a pot on top of the stove covered in water?
    MichaelsMom330

Comment by MichaelsMom330 (original poster) at 1:33 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• If your just using it for salad then boil it up in a pot on the stove in chicken broth and seasonings. It CAN cook from frozen that way and it wont effect it at all.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:43 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Leave it sitting on the counter to thaw this afternoon and then put it back in the fridge before dinner. I would just make it in the oven at 350F. 1 1/2 - 2 hours depending on size (I think it's 20 mins a pound). Before putting it in the oven, melt a stick of butter and brush that all over it, and put an onion in the cavity. It comes out SOOOooooooooooooooo good.
    Anonymous

• yes, that is what she meant :) I am pretty sure you can boil it while it is still kinda frozen. I boil my frozen chicken breast
    Ethans_Ma

Answer by Ethans_Ma at 1:45 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• So I decided to go ahead and throw it in the pot and have it tonight for dinner instead of tomorrow...I'm using it to make chicken salad! I really appreciate the responses, thanks for not making me feel stupid :)

Last question, it's a whole young chicken, and just over 4 pounds, it was frozen when I started boiling it (it started boiling at 12:25), how long should I let it boil for? Can I tell it's done just by the temperature of the chicken, or is there other ways to tell? Thanks again everyone!!
    MichaelsMom330

Comment by MichaelsMom330 (original poster) at 2:55 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I either leave it out or put it in cold water
    Leelee1008

Answer by Leelee1008 at 10:10 PM on Apr. 7, 2011