Do your kids know what to do if

I was wounding if your kids know what to do if there was an emergency at home, while walking, in the car, at the store? Do they all know their address and phone # and how to get back home if needed? If so how do they know this stuff who was the one to teach them?

My kids do know their phone # and still working on address for the little ones and would know how to get back home or at lest tell the police man how. They for now know to just call 911 for help not to try to be a hero and do some thing them selfs.

I say this because there was this one family who went outside cause they heard a noise and a cable had fallen in the back yard and the dad touched it and got shocked then the mom came to help him and touched him and got shocked and then the older son came out and went to help the two of them and yes got shocked. The three of them all died. So we unfortunately have to teach our kids things from other peoples mistakes so they dont do it.

butterflies78

Asked by butterflies78 at 1:27 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• Holy cow!!! That is very tragic. My 4 & 5 year olds know their address and how to spell their name.
    Still working on our phone number.
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 1:29 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• My older ones are 9, 11, and 13 so they know all the information they could possibly need and to call 911 in an emergency. I taught them when they were first learning to write. My little ones are only 2 yo and 9 months, so that's a ways off for them.

Answer by missanc at 1:33 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• My son is almost 2 so not quite lol
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 1:35 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• 6 and 7 know names, address, phone numbers, and 911
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:36 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• My kids know our names, my 8 yo knows my cell number, they know where they go to school so if the police need information they can call the school. We move so often that the girls have a hard time keeping track of our address. They do know 911 and not to touch wires on the ground, not to go to strangers (or which strangers they can go to). I think I have them prepared. They also both usually have a card on them with our address and phone number.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 1:42 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Thats tragic. My youngest is 6 and she knows her phone number and how to call 911. My 11 yr old has a cell phone with all the emergency information in it for him if something were to happen at home or anywhere else he might be. My older kids are 17, 18 and 21 so they know what to do either way. I taught them everything.

Answer by gemgem at 1:42 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Well, my son is 15y/o. But, at 2, he was lost at a state fair. He went to 2 little old ladies for help. They took him to the police camper there and he told them his name, my name, what I was wearing, my hair color and everything else. They knew everything they needed to know to find me. LOL I was quite proud.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:42 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• My 3yo knows her name, the state she lives in, country, & continent. But as far as the detailed stuff we havent gotten there just yet. As the year goes on & she gets towards 4 we will teach her the details & things to do just in case.

That is a sad story about that family =(
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 1:44 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• That's a sad story, but if both parents were dumb enough to touch the cable, how were they supposed to teach the child not to?
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 1:46 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Wow, that's tragic but who touches a cable just like that? Crazy. My 4 year old daughter doesn't know yet but reading this I think I should start teaching it to her.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 1:54 PM on Apr. 7, 2011