Greenville sc

My dh and I are looking into moving to greenville sc for hubby's job. Are any of you mamas from that area? How are the schools? I've looked online, but want personal experiences if I could get them.... Thanks in advance!!

BabyBugsmama

Asked by BabyBugsmama at 1:28 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I Live in Prosperity SC. My neighbors are from Greenville. Schools out there are better than Columbia, same amount of crime as anywhere else. Here is the link for Greenville County Schools  http://www.greenville.k12.sc.us/index.asp

vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:33 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I was born there and lived in a suburb called Simpsonville until I was 10. LOVED it! I live in Raleigh NC now and there are a lot of comparison between here and there. My parents considered moving back when I was in highschool and the school were very good, but that info is 20 years old so may not be up to date - but the area has only grown and flourished so I can't imagine the schools have gone down! It's a beautiful area - I still miss looking off in the distance and seeing the mountains!

Answer by missanc at 1:31 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Greenville Co schools aren't terrible. Fortunately, they permit district busing. Meaning, if your child qualifies for an awesome program offered at one of the schools (or magnet schools) across the district, they are able to ride the bus. It is a single county district, not divided districts. There are boundaries for certain schools, but you have the option of sending your child to any of the schools in the district, provided they meet the criteria.

Downtown Greenville is beautiful, they've done a lot of restoration work, and the suspension bridge over reedy falls is beautiful! There is a pretty good zoo, the roper mountain science center, two very large aquatic centers (one of which is an actual Olympic sz pool & dive pool), there are a couple good museums, you're about an hour drive from Riverbanks Zoo... I could keep on, and on.

Msg me- I lived in the area for over 12 years collectively.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:37 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Not living there but less then 2 hours from there. Ill give ya a bump though.

Answer by gemgem at 1:40 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• My parents used to live there, so we visited a lot.

There is a new Children's Museum that's a lot of fun. Lots of stuff to do, and as previously mentioned, the downtown is great! They have music festivals going on through the summer.

It's convenient to a lot of things since I-85 runs through it and I-26 is not far in Spartanburg. You're about 3 hours from Atlanta, 1.5 from Columbia, and pretty close to Asheville. Mountains are nearby as well as Lake Hartwell.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 1:46 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I don't live in Greenville, but I do live in Travelers Rest and go downtown alot. I think it's great here!
    PhoenixsMommy10

Answer by PhoenixsMommy10 at 1:47 PM on Apr. 7, 2011