My 6 month old does not want to take her formula, i hav eto try and feed her while she sleeps

and sometimes she pushes it away. she eats solids but not much maybe half a jar of gerber stage 2 foods....
its a fight at feeding time...how can i change this? Its frustrating....and she wakes up and cry at night, she is on Zantac 2 ml 2 times a day

johnsonbaby03

Asked by johnsonbaby03 at 1:36 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• OK, did she do good on breastmilk? Can you relactate or be willing to if she will take it? Would a donor be a good option? Normally, I wouldn't recommend water or foods right now, but, if she won't take formula..not sure what to do. Maybe make some homemade formula from goats milk. Of even try just goats milk...it is easier than cow milk to tolerate if she absolutely refuses formula. And trust me, I don't take giving anything but BM lightly, so...I understand. Not trying to undermine or say you are doing anything wrong. Just trying to give you all the options.

If you aren't against milk donor, go to HM4HB(Human milk for human babies) on Facebook and they can hook you up to at least see if it will help.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:27 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• What formula? Did you ever nurse her and now she won't take it or she has always been on it and just recently won't take it? Cut back on the solids. At 6 months, she should only just now be starting any at all. And before one, solids are just for some fun and learning, not sustenance. Try a sippy or straw cup. WHat symptoms got her the meds?

I kinda need more info in order to help.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:40 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• maybe switch formulas? Try a different bottle? try to feed in a different position?
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 1:44 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Maybe she is teething or has an ear ache. Maybe it hurts to swallow.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:08 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• It started from birth, she would cry for hrs at a time...couldn't put her down. I slept in a recliner for the 1st 2 months with her...she breast fed for 2 weeks and was taking her bottle very well until about 2.5 months when she was diagnosed with reflux...she was vomiting, stopped taking her bottle, and there was crystals in her pampers. She was put on zantac and the crying subsided. But ever since I had a problem feeding her,,,,She would take a formula for a week or so and wont take it anymore. i changed it every time she stopped taking it because I didn't want her to be hungry. I think she had all the diff types of formula and bottles out there...I even tried the sippy cup but when she taste formula she would scream...she drinks water very well with no problems. I even got her a straw cup but she wont suck the straw she bites it and play. she was only on formula but i started giving her solids because she wont take the bot
    johnsonbaby03

Comment by johnsonbaby03 (original poster) at 2:15 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Her gum at the front seems swollen, but she drinks water from her bottle just fine. She is gaining weight well. But I think if I left it up to her to drink her formula it would not have been so...I feed her while she sleeps....sometimes she go about 6 to 8 hrs and dnt want to drink any. My mom is with me for 3 months and she will be leaving in a few weeks my mom takes her time with her and I dont think a sitter wil have that patients,,,
    johnsonbaby03

Comment by johnsonbaby03 (original poster) at 2:19 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• So, are you no longer breastfeeding at all? The constant switching of formulas is hard on her as well as on you.

Teething will also put her off her feed.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:23 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• No she stopped breast feeding at 2 week old. I currently hav eher on SMA stage 2 ... 6-12 months It taste great but she still dnt wanna take it, I am sticking to this one. How long does teething pains last?

johnsonbaby03

Comment by johnsonbaby03 (original poster) at 2:27 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• It sounds like she might be teething, and have you put a bit of anbesol or tried teething tabs? I would maybe try a breast milk donor, and be sure to try different types of solids,,,my DS would always eat homemade baked sweet potatoes even when fussy,, good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 3:57 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• @ piwife What I ate made the baby gassy and she would vomit in her sleep...I was scared so I stopped breastfeeding her for about a week and until my new diet kicked in and she did not accept the breast anymore
    johnsonbaby03

Comment by johnsonbaby03 (original poster) at 4:16 PM on Apr. 7, 2011