Is it possible

Could a doctor be off on estimating how far along I am by like an entire month or two?
I am measuring about 4cm too small. My doctor said that it's either my belly is smaller than it should be, or he is smaller than he should be. Im hoping it's my belly because I had a very small frame before I was pergnant anyways and when hes moving it feels like he is all crammed in there, so it would make sense that he is a normal size and just my belly is small. But I was wondering if it is likely that they are off on estimating how far along I am by a month or two?

lizjones

Asked by lizjones at 1:42 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I guess they could be... Have u had an ultrasound to confirm how far along you are?? They are usually pretty close.
    NoahsMomma6807

Answer by NoahsMomma6807 at 1:45 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• You might actually be less far along, but of course those measurements are guesses, plus the person doing it can get different readings, do it different, baby's position and fluid level can affect it...
    Plus it is NORMAL to be within 2 cm either side.

How long have you been measuring off?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:46 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Yes, doctors are notoriously bad about estimating the size and date of babies. No one knows exactly when you ovulated. No one knows exactly when egg was fertilized and attached. Size can't really be determined by fundal height or U/S. Only after birth can the size be accurately measured. LOL So, unless baby is really not gaining at ALL over the course of a few months, then, you can worry a smidge. But, if baby is growing fine, just "seems" small. Don't worry. And don't let the doctor bully you into believing otherwise.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:46 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Well the use the measurements to see what age they are by how they have developed so far.....i am also tiny with a tiny belly and no one thinks i am big enough but it's my third child, i know she is fine :) my oldest was born small at 6 lb 2 oz but beefed up around 3 months and is normal. I was realllll sick with with my second and he was 5 lb 9 oz at birth and still SOOOOOOO small. I am sure your baby is fine :)
    Ethans_Ma

Answer by Ethans_Ma at 1:48 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Dr is probably off. with my 2nd the Dr said the baby was small and wouldnt be very big at birth. Dr was a fool. I had a 8 1/2 pounder who was 21 inches long.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:48 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I was curious about that too......from my LMP i should be a few weeks further...im 34 weeks and fighting preterm labor - makes me wonder??? Go to get an ultrasound tues hopefully we will find something out
    Ethans_Ma

Answer by Ethans_Ma at 1:49 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Anything's possible.
    shynu

Answer by shynu at 1:49 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Yes, for my labor for my second child I was having contractions right on top of each other, I had already thrown up because of the pain and the nurse assumed that I was already 7cm dilated or close to there....so then this smug little doctor comes in and does this half-assed job in checking me and says I'm 3cm...WHAT?!?! My husband and I were pissed because we knew he was wrong and requested another doctor and when the other doctor checked me tell me why I was already at 10cm! Docs make mistakes!
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 1:50 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• It is very rare for the doctor to be off by as much as a month or two. Did you have an ultrasound at the beginning of the pregnancy? Also, do you know your LMP? If so, that is the most accurate thing to go by.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 1:50 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• It isn't rare. It happens a lot. And LMP is also not really accurate. If she were to have been charting CM, then, she would know better than ANY method out there how far along she is. Docs use the 28 day cycle with the 14th day ovulation and add 2 weeks to get the EDD. That in and of itself is not accurate for ALL women. If her cycle is 32 days or if she ovulated on day 20. She wouldn't really have the EDD that goes with her LMP.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:53 PM on Apr. 7, 2011