Why am I GAINING weight?

I'm on a whole grain diet, which I love. I could eat whole grains forever. Everything I've been eating for over a week is whole grains, fiber and protein. I'm not really sure how to go about it but I don't take in more than 1500 calories a day. I also do exercise on an elliptical for 45 minutes a day.

So why is it that I've gained 6lbs instead of losing weight?! I went from 179 to 185. I'm 5'5 and trying to atleast hit the 140 mark to be healthier....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:06 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Starches are sugar! It's probably to early for you to be gaining weight from muscle. Look at the south beach diet. it's a great way to start new healthy eating habits and in the first two weeks you will lose easily 20 lbs. It takes determination and effort though...no cheating!
    Mrsorr

Answer by Mrsorr at 2:25 AM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Starches of any kind turn in to sugar in your body. The Dr told my mom this cause she is a diabetic. Even though whole grains are good for you, you need to lower your carbs. Try eating some whole grains, but mostly protein and fruits and veggies. Be cafeful of to much fruit though, they have natural sugar in them too.
    Anonymous

• What about fruits and veggies? grains and protien should only be a portion of your diet. You need lots of produce. If you just started working out you may be gaining muscles weight
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:30 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• go get your thyoid checked. un exsplained weight gain can be due to your thyroid.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 2:29 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I agree with answer #3. You need to eat a well balance diet.
    CollinsMommy729

Answer by CollinsMommy729 at 3:19 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Are you becoming more muscular? Muscle weighs 3x more than fat, so if you're melting fat but gaining muscle, that could be why. It's the problem I'm having too right now, I'm slimming down but myu weight isn't budging.
    Anonymous

• make sure you measure your waist to see if you are losing inches.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:31 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Too much exercise! You are building muscle (which weighs more) instead of losing fat. I went through a couple year period when I started a healthy lifestyle and I was working out almost every day, I learned then that if you drop your exercise to three times a week (every other day) that's how you loose fat. If you work out every day, you are telling your body you are in training mode so it builds muscle and retains fat. If you work out every other day, you loose fat.
    EBee12

Answer by EBee12 at 4:50 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• whole grains are good, but still higher in carbs, i eat HALF a serving size, not only because of the calories and carbs but because i'm a diabetic. The food you should have the most of on your plate is the veggie, taking up half your plate and the whole grain taking up a quarter and the protein taking up a quarter
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:30 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Whole wheat is good but full of carbs. You have to balance.
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 4:19 AM on Apr. 8, 2011