Is she really qualified?????

What do you guys think of Bristol Palin being the new spokes person for Abstinence America???

sondaughter312

Asked by sondaughter312 at 2:22 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• As far as being qualified for the job, if all it takes to qualify is to be a teen mom, then yes, she's qualified. The thing is, she has never had to worry about how to pay the dr., pay for food and clothing for her child, go to school while trying to care for said child and find a babysitter that is affordable so she could. She has never had to give up anything because of being a teen mom, in fact, it would appear that she has benefited from the publicity. So what can she possibly say to anyone else about the difficulities being a teen mom entails. She has no clue as to what the average teen from an average American family experiences and has to give up when in that situation, and even less about what the difficulities are when you don't have family to support and help care for your needs and your babies.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 7:04 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Abstinence America and the Candies Foundation saw her as a voice of someone who can reach a segment of the US population.... Their choice, their foundation.... To each their own... I think someone who wants others to learn from their mistakes is a viable option to get a message across....
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:28 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• There are times and situations when I would much rather my child learn from someone else's mistakes than make the mistake herself. And teen pregnancy is one of those situations. If Bristol Palin can stand up and sincerely say that as much as she loves her child, she should have waited to have sex and they should wait too, then there's no reason why she should not be the spokesperson. And if she convinces girls (and boys) to wait, then she is very qualified for the job.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 2:40 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Well lets see..Bristol has a child, but also a VERY nice lifestyle. Plus she was on T.V. with dancing with the stars and has since purchased her own, quite expensive home. Teens aren't stupid, they've seen her on T.V, as well as read the articles about her purchasing her home, etc. so I doubt that when she talks about the difficulities of being a teen mother, any of them take her seriously. Especially since those difficulties that most would face are not something she herself has experienced.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 3:54 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I actually laughed out loud when I read that. I wish people would get over the Palins already. I'm tired of hearing about them.

To answer the question, NO I don't think she's qualified. And I'd be afraid they would just pay her more than they actually give to prevent things like teen pregnancy--like what happened with Candie's Foundation.

Bristol Palin's 2009 salary: $262,500!!

Advertising: $165,000

Charitable Disbursements: only $35,000!!!
    [detail: $35,000 in grants to actual teen pregnancy health and counseling clinics: $25,000 to the Mt. Sinai Adolescent Health Center and $10,000 to the National Campaign to Prevent Teen Pregnancy.]

Bristol Palin’s Nonprofit Paid Her Seven Times What It Spent On Actual Teen Pregnancy Prevention
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 4:35 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I DISAGREE with abstinenceonly campaigns, for I think they are BULLSHIT anyway. Bristol Palin is NOT going to discourage teens from having sex. lol She had sex, had a baby, and is living a fabulous life. She does NOT know the true hardships of BEING A TEEN MOM, for her MOTHER was the Governor of Alaska, and a VP candidate. Why should any AVERAGE teen take her seriously???

Anonymous

• lol. I don't know much about this but it seems she may not be the *best* choice. Then again she has been there done that and can give valid reasons why abstinence may have been best in her situation...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:32 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• With the message of "Get knocked up young- have everything taken care of for you!" ?

No, she wouldn't be my pick.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 2:25 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I think there are many others out there that are better qualified for this. Bristol was chosen only because of who her mother is. If Bristol's mom would have been... YOU, do you think she would have this position now? When Bristol reunited with Levi after their initial split do you think she practiced abstinence then?

meooma

Answer by meooma at 3:32 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• That's messed up, Pam19. I wonder how the nonprofit can justify those expenses when they give so little toward actual teen pregnancy prevention.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 4:58 PM on Apr. 7, 2011