Confused about breastfeeding...

I haven't had my baby yet, but no where in any of my books or any articles that I find really say HOW to start breastfeeding. It only says that you can start a couple hours after giving birth. So my question is: Do you BF every 2-4 hours beginning with birth? Or do you wait til your milk comes in? How does it work?

srhmldndo

Asked by srhmldndo at 2:35 PM on Nov. 30, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I BF my DD less than an hr. after she was born.. Dont worry if your milk doesn't come in for a day or so.. it may not. Babies take in the colustrum you produce, its very high in protein and nutrients for the baby so they don't need a full belly. They pretty much live off the fat stores that your body gives them in the last few days of pregnancy. After a couple of days baby will want to eat more, your body will produce the milk and you'll KNOW it. LOL.. nobody tells ya about your milk coming in if your not in a BF group.. but you'll know when it happens. If you buy a Medela pump they come with a handy little booklet about BFing, how to start, what to do, etc.. and I'm sure there are other books out there that will do the same. Goodluck!!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 4:50 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Yes, start at birth, Forget about how often, just nurse the baby whenever they want. IN the early days it may be sooner than every two hours. There is a Breast feeding mom's group here you can join to ask questions. Check out Kellymom or the LLL page, I'm sure you will find some great info there. Also, if your milk hasn't come in, don't worry. Babies are designed to take only colostrum, they don't need anymore than that those first few days. Good luck!
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 2:38 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I breastfed my kids and the best idea is to get them to the breast as soon as possible. My most successful breastfeeder was my son and he took to the breast within 15 min of being born. He never took a bottle in fact and went straight from the breast to a cup. Make sure you let the nurses know you plan to breastfeed so they dont try and supplement with a bottle or give the baby a pacifier because that can cause nipple confusion which makes breastfeeding harder.

Answer by gemgem at 2:40 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I wouldn't wait 2-3 hours. I put my daughter on my breast 20 min after she was born and she knew exactly what to do. I breastfed on demand, which means when she cried and was hungery, I fed her. She fed every 2-3 hours for the first 6 months and then about every 5 hours during the night and every 3 hours during the day. The more she sucks, your body will make milk customized for her needs. It will take a couple of days for your milk to come in but baby is getting nutritious colustrum when she sucks.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 2:40 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Your milk won't come in for several days, most likely. But in the meantime you should nurse as often as your baby wants. You'll be producing colostrum in those few days before your milk comes in, and this is very important stuff for your baby to get. Letting baby nurse as much as possible will help your milk come in, and it iwll also help you recover from birth. You may want to take a breastfeeding class or meet with a certified lactation consultant.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 2:43 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• my son was born and went straight to my chest and then breast. thats right i got him before he was even cleaned off. it was wonderful moment that i will have with my next baby, have to get pregnant first. anyway as soon as they clean your baby and get them all swaddled but the baby on the boob and feed the baby when they are hungry and don't let the nurses force you into giving your baby a bottle.
    sterlids

Answer by sterlids at 2:53 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• It is important to get the baby on the breast as soon as possible, sometimes before they're even cut from the umbilicus. Don't worry too much if you're like me, and have to have a c-section and can't feed the baby for a few hours though, it's still going to work fine if you have a good idea of what you're doing and have good help on hand. One thing I will warn you of, is to have your husband or SO go to the nursery with the baby to make sure they don't slip him or her a bottle of formula, because that WILL complicate nursing. This early in the game, bottles should be avoided at all costs. A good guideline is to nurse your baby every hour or so in the beginning. You're trying to establish a supply, and constant nursing is the way to get that.
    3maniacsmom

Answer by 3maniacsmom at 3:23 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I had a c-section and they still gave me my baby boy within 15-20minutes to try and nurse him. Don't buy into the crap that you have to wait after a c-section, you don't. Tell EVERYONE that walks into your room that you want to breastfeed immediantly after baby is born, it helps so that everyone is on board. Be assertive, there is so much free formula flying around hospitals that it can be confusing for some nursing staff that hasn't delt directly with you...
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 3:40 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Yes the sooner you get the baby to your breast the better. She may just suckle for a minute and fall asleep. It was tramatic for her too. LOL. But even just lying skin to skin for a few hours is helpful. After you and baby have settled feed when baby is hungry, or every four hours.-- during the day. At night never wake a sleeping baby, it will help establish a scehdule. Any way--- Book on breastfeeding-- A girl from work gave me the book "Breastfeeding your Baby" by J. Moody, J. Britten and K. Hogg, published by Fisher Books. It is a great resource you will have many many more questions
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 4:32 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• If you let them know at the hospital(or where ever your having you baby) They usually will give him to you within an hour of birth and usually they have a lactation lady there. Your milk doesnt come in right away it takes a day or two after your baby starts nursing for it to come in, at first its called Colostrum and its pretty much just the antibodies from you. And after a little while your milk will "let down" and your actual milk will come in. Breast feeding has been one of the best experiences so far with my DS, so Good Luck!
    serenaxxmarie

Answer by serenaxxmarie at 5:53 PM on Nov. 30, 2008