Pad Thai?

Any one have a good Pad Thai recipe that is Americanized enough that I can find the ingredients (we do not have access to a ethnic food store, other then one that caters to Hispanics. great stuff, just not what I'm looking for)?

Any other yummy "from around the world" recipies anyone wants to share with me?

daughteroftruth

Asked by daughteroftruth at 2:50 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I have never heard of Pad Thai.What is it?
    fryshannon34

Answer by fryshannon34 at 8:15 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Never heard of that.
    Samanthamommy

Answer by Samanthamommy at 9:23 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pad_Thai
    daughteroftruth

Comment by daughteroftruth (original poster) at 9:26 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Never heard of it.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 11:08 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Have you looked for an Asian market in your area? Asked a local Thai restaurant where they buy their ingredients? Tamarind is a key flavor in Pad Thai, and it won't be quite the same without it.

There is a company that makes a pretty good pad Thai sauce: http://www.atasteofthai.com/ You can purchase from them online, or perhaps find a local store.

Here is a pretty basic PT recipe. I will also post a recipe for "fish sauce"; you can't really subsitute the tamarind, though you may be able to find it at a hispanic market, or online.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:20 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Ingredients
    1 lime, cut inwedges for garnish
    5 garllic cloves, pressed
    1 onion finely chopped
    1 bag of thai rice or glass noodles (400 grams) soaking in hot water for 5 minutes).
    unsalted peanuts, crushed and cooked as in toasted in oven till golden brown for a few minutes
    shrimp or chicken about 2 filets chicken breast, if chicken cubed, small pieces, you can cook and cut up ahead of time, saves time (I use tofu, which I cook ahead of time)
    white bean sprouts, uncooked, for decoration at the end
    1 egg
    thai chili pepper, for adding at the end if you like piquante (I use sriacha, chili paste)
    paprika powder
    olive oil or cooking oil
    thai fish sauce (3 Tbsp.)
    tamarind juice or tamarind pulp that you've soaked in hot water ( 4 Tbsp)
    white sugar ( 4 Tbsp)

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 7:23 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Soak uncooked thai noodles in hot water for 5 minutes.
    Heat up your pan with 2 tbsp. oil and add in 3/4 of the onion, and all of the garlic , stir until just lightly golden and then add in your softened rice noodles.. stir and let soften even more for a few minutes with garlic and onion, take the whole thing out and put in bowl. Add another 2 Tbsp. oil in wok or skillet, add tons of paprika when dark red , add in your rice noodles and stir, you can then add your cooked shrimp or chicken and add following sauce , which have been mixed together in small bowl separately : 3 Tbsp. fish sauce, 4 Tbsp.white sugar, 4 Tbsp.tamarind juice . Add the sauce to the noodles and meat , stir for a few minutes, so rice noodles are not sticking and then once again take out the noodles and put in bowl.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 7:27 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Add yet another 1-2 Tbsp. oil to wok or skillet, crack an egg in wok and stir quickly, so egg is in little strips, cooked .Add the thai rice noodles and stir in with egg. I always add a second portion of the sauce (fish +sugar+ tamarind juice with same amount as above) to give more taste to the pad thai.
    Stir for 2 more minutes.
    In plates, garnish with fresh chopped onion (what's left over) , chopped toasted peanuts, washed but uncooked sprouts, garnish with lime, to splash on when ready to eat

Answer by rkoloms at 7:29 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• This is a fairly good replica of fish sauce:

Vegan Nam Pla Fish Sauce

1 garlic clove -- minced
    2 teaspoons light brown sugar
    1 teaspoon ground dulse -- or kelp
    1/4 cup fresh lime juice
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    2 tablespoons water

In a small bowl, combine the garlic, sugar, and dulse, if using. Add the lime juice, soy sauce, and water, stirring to blend well. If not using right away, cover and refrigerate until needed. Properly stored, the sauce will keep for up to 5 days.

Makes 3/4 cup (12 one-tablespoon servings).

Answer by rkoloms at 7:31 AM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Awesome!! Thank you so much. I like to try my hand at something new everyone in a while!
    daughteroftruth

Comment by daughteroftruth (original poster) at 12:46 PM on Apr. 10, 2011