Playing politics with our troops?

ASHINGTON -- President Obama promised on Thursday to veto a House Republican bill that would keep the government open for one extra week and cut $12 billion in spending, while also funding the military through the remainder of the fiscal year.

Obama had dismissed the gesture in private meetings and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) called the measure a "fantasy" and a "non-starter," but Thursday's veto threat was the president's clearest signal that the House Republican stopgap is doomed.

The only reason there could be is a continuation of thinking they can blame republicans. That is the reason no budget was passed already, when democrats were in full control.

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 3:26 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/07/obama-veto-threat-government-shutdown_n_846187.html
    Carpy

Comment by Carpy (original poster) at 3:27 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• This whole thing is politics. Dems cannot blame Republicans they could have taken care of this before the Repubs were sworn in they chose not to. I am a Dem and can see this for what it is. I honestly cannot stand either party now but in this situation I do believe the Repubs are right and I hope they prevail.
    Anonymous

• – collapse

You crazy conservatives have to take responsibility for your screw ups. Own it. It's your game. Some of cabal has already been minimizing the effects of government closing. Crazy, crazy conservatives. Either it's a big scary issue or it's not.

adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 4:24 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• The only reason they introduced the bill was to blame the democrats for the shut down, so yes...playing politics. How many extentions do they need? We'd all be better off if they'd just do thier jobs, which should've been done months ago. The only problem is that Boehner has no control over his party and is afrain he won't get the votes he needs to wrap this up.

Waa waa waa. That's what happens when you've got a bunch of assholes on your team.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:24 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Waa waa waa. That's what happens when you've got a bunch of assholes on your team.

Sorry about your luck. I agree the dems are a bunch of assholes.
    Carpy

Comment by Carpy (original poster) at 4:34 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• You know what I'm sorry about? That my husband would STILL have to serve and protect ALL their asses if need be. They are arguing, dicking around, and blaming each other instead of figuring things out. Instead of doing their jobs. Of course it's politics, WTH else would it be???
    I'm wondering, do the politicians still get paid? I mean, who gives a f*ck if the soldiers that are here, and the ones deployed don't get paid, right? Who cares about how their families eat. Bills, those can be handled. Grocery stores are not going to hand out IOU's.

I'm also sorry that anyone is still blaming it all on one political party over another. Because, you know, 'your' party is always the perfect/can't do wrong party, right?
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 5:16 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• It's the Republican's fault the Democrats failed to pass a budget whiel they controlled both houses. Interesting. The Republicans at least passed one. THe whole thing is a political pissing contest.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 5:23 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Yep, politics, as usual, involving both parties and affecting ALL citizens, including government/military workers.

Raine, I am so sorry that your family is affected, and that you are having to see firsthand that few care about things that do not negatively affect them or their loved ones.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 5:24 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Soon it will be campaigning time and you can be sure that this fiasco is going to be at the forefront of the speeches we have to hear and the campaign ads. OBAMA should have had this all taken care of last year. HIM. HE is the president and the one in control and HE is to blame for all this BS now.......
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 6:09 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Raine yes, by law they all still get paid during the shutdown.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 6:11 PM on Apr. 7, 2011