How did you take the pacifier away from your baby?

kaysmomma121110

Asked by kaysmomma121110 at 3:42 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My boys never had one, but with my daughter I had to throw them all away. As long as she couldn't find one there wouldn't be one in her mouth and eventually she forgot about it at all.
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 3:44 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• everyone is going to have a diff. opinion about this one i never gave my son one
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 3:44 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I need to figure out a plan my son is one now. The pacifier needs to go.
    LovinMySon84

Answer by LovinMySon84 at 3:46 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• When my daughter turned 2, I kinda had the doctor tell her that she didn't need it anymore. Took the 'blame' off mommy and daddy and put it on the doctor. She basically went cold turkey. Yes there was crying, but I stuck to my guns.
    DragonflyGirls

Answer by DragonflyGirls at 3:46 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• At 3 months

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:49 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I let all three of my kids make up their own minds about their pacifiers.
    One never really liked it. She liked to suck on her fingers. The other two lost interest in their pacifers by age 2. I have never been a "controlling Mom" who decides that pacifiers are bad.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 3:53 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• The binky is the only bad habit I have allowed. It keeps him quieter when we are out in public and calms him quickly when he gets a boo boo. We have been reducing the times he is allowed to have it. Right now it's only for sleeping and when he gets hurt. I keep trying to remove it entirely but have been finding it difficult.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 3:53 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I've head of someone cutting the end of the pacifier until there is nothing left to suck on. Probably a good way to wean the little on off of it. Less traumatizing than just not letting them have the pacifier.
    courtcaton

Answer by courtcaton at 4:39 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• My son managed to lose his only 3 binkys all in the same day. I wasn't able to buy more until the next day when my husbands check hit the bank account. The first night without was miserable but unavoidable. By the next day I decided not to buy more since I had already survived one night. By about the 4th-5th day without it, he forgot all about it. I also tried to give him treats in place of the binky if the fussing got really bad. I would give him the little fat free/sugar free suckers to suck on. He would usually suck on it for a few minutes, get his fix, then give back to me and go play. That was when he was about 14 months old and it seemed to work pretty well. My sister let her kids have the binky until they decided it was time to quit. One of her children kept it until he was almost 5 years old( along with a bottle) and he now has pallette/teeth problems due to it. (According to the Orth. Specialist, not me)
    Missalissa86

Answer by Missalissa86 at 5:26 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• my son was in intensive care when he was born so the nurses gave him one, i wasn't happy bout that so when i got him home i just stopped giving it to him and soothed him in other ways, he soon forgot about it. but when i was a kid i had one and my mom told me the toothfairy was coming to get it and i should put it under my pillow so she could give me money for it. so i did and was all happy with my 20cent lol
    otoole

Answer by otoole at 11:56 PM on Apr. 7, 2011