What do you think about the police using pepper spray on the 8 y/o CO boy?

The boy & his mom were on Good Morning America yesterday b/c mom is upset that the police had to use peppper spray to subdue her son. He was at school, totally out of control, waving a sharp piece of wood & saying he "would kill all you M-F'-ers" What is your take on this story?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 4:21 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I read the story and I think the police did the right thing, this kid was like a rabid dog! Regardless the police were in a lose-lose situation because no matter what they did people are gonna criticize. To me his age was not a factor, his actions were!
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 4:24 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• and out of control kid with a weapon, waving it around...i'm sorry but the pepper spray worked didn't it? What sucks is that this child was so out of control that the officers HAD to use the spray to subdue him. I'm sure it was the last thing they wanted to do
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 4:24 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Sorry, but the police did the right thing in this situation. It was not the first time this child had been out of control. He had a sharp weapon. Far better to use pepper spray to subdue him than anything else. It was the least violent option that a police officer has to choose from. The mother needs to get her head out of her butt and realize that her son has a major issue that needs to be taken care of and threatening to sue the police department for handling her son in a what could have been a much more violent situation - that's not the answer.
    Anonymous

• After reading the entire story, especially the part about this being the third time police had to be called on the boy, I say it was the right choice. Now, ask me whether or not I think the child should have even been in that school at this point. No. He should have been moved somewhere else for his previous behavior and then maybe this would have been avoided.
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 4:36 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I agree with Zakysmommy too. Plus, this wasn't the first time this kid acted out in such a violent manner. They need to sit down with his mom and figure out what the issues are, like if there is something going on in his household that is making him act out like this. It's obvious he needs some kind of medication that he is not getting. I think that out of all the choices they had they made the one that they thought would be less "painful" they couldn't very well dog-pile the kid or tackle him.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 4:36 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• what I would liike to know is what consequences this chid is recieving.....is he being charged? what set him off and what are they doing to treat or dx this childs obvious mental problems.....either he is really sick or he is the worse brat on the face of the earth.
    either way he needs help! Cant really blame the police for pepper spraying him, the cant lay hands on him,restrain him or touch him in any way...momma would have really pitched a fit about that....cant have it both way folks!
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 4:42 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Pepper spray seems a bit much but it's not like they could use a billy club either. Maybe it really was the only way to get a hold of him? I can't judge. I hate to think of a child in this situation though...awful. : (
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:23 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Iyvi, how are they supposed to have his mom come handle it? Call her and let him go around attacking people until she shows up? She had her chance to get him under control the first 2 times the cops were called on him.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 9:53 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I wouldn't judge the police. Even though the child is only 8, it is amazing how strong & dangerous an out of control 8 year old can be. Since the child had a weapon in his hand, the odds of being able to get a hold of him and restrain him might be quite low. And, restraining him physically might have been more dangerous to him than the use of pepper spray.  

sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 7:43 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I think mom should of been called in to help with the situation or give permission to use some sort of force. This is from my personal experince at the prison here where I live i got sprayed in Feb for my training (then they fired me over me being in the hospital with strep throat but whatever not important) and I had to go to the doctor cuz my eye never got better and come to find out it the pepper spray had melted part of my left cornea. The whole story makes me beyond sick!!!!!!!!!!!
    lyvi

Answer by lyvi at 4:27 PM on Apr. 7, 2011