Let him go or keep him home?

I let each one of my kids pick a sport to participate in. My almost 7 year old has been naughty today. I want to keep him home but I hate wasting money. If he misses his karate class, there are no make-ups. Should I let him go even though he's been naughty, or keep him home and waste my money?

Renee3K

Asked by Renee3K at 4:22 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Ya, tough. I'd let him go and when he's home punish him some other way.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:24 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• take him to karate class but talk with the instructor about the behavior problem.....I know my daughters karate (Shi-han) expects discpline from his students and will talk to the problem child after class...its all about respect folks!
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 4:29 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• considering it is something that all the other students need for a complete class, i'd say take him. the instructor is no doubt expecting him to be there.
    punish him without involving the class/team.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 4:25 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I agree with jeanclaudia.
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 4:25 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• i would punish a different way.. missing one day of their activites could hurt them in the end during a game or recital or whatever it is they do. my SIL did that to my nephew and i just thought it was wrong

i wanted to keep my daughter home some days from her dance class.. but she has competitions an recitals so it would just hurt them!
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 4:27 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I say don't let him go. Karate is a privilege, and he needs to know that. Stinks about missing out on the money, but it's better than missing out on a learning opportunity.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 4:28 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I don't see how keeping him home from something you have paid for is punishing him. That seems more like double punishment for Mom. It's one of the reasons I preferred spanking my children when they were disobedient and/or disrespectful. It was really just between me and them, it was quick and done with, and then we could go on with our lives without my having to wrestle with what I should or should not do. They knew what the rules were, and they knew what would happen if they broke the rules. Same punishment every time equals respectful and obedient children. They are all grown today and will tell you that they are glad there were guidelines and enforcement.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:39 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• NannyB., We do have guidelines and I do enforce the rules. Karate is something he loves dearly, so that is why I considered keeping him home, because maybe it would strike him that the behavior will not be accepted and if he continues to behave the way he has today, that he would lose privilages. He was placed in time-out and while he was there, continued the attitude. I spank my children, but I don't just do that on the first offense. I've done it before and it was ineffective.

Thanks for the responses!
    Renee3K

Comment by Renee3K (original poster) at 4:59 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Let him go... unless you told him he can't go. If you take back the punishment that will give him the idea he got unpunished.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 9:50 PM on Apr. 7, 2011