At what age was your child able to determine what color an object was?

My son just turned 3 and even though he is already learning how to read a few basic words and has memorized the entire alphabet and numbers up until 20, he can't tell me if a car is blue or yellow. I'm getting concerned that he may have color vision problems so I was just curious at about what age other children were able to determine basic colors.

Shanin22

Asked by Shanin22 at 2:49 PM on Nov. 30, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My kids new colors pretty well by 2 or 3. Does he know red and green? Those are the main colors affected with color blindness I think. just practice naming colors with him for a few minutes everyday. He'll get it!
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 2:59 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• i dont have my daughter yet, but my nephew turned 2 just a few months ago and he knows all the basic colors.
    pink black green yellow red brown orange (especially orange because to him thats what color his hair is lol)

KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 3:09 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• sory and blue and all those basic colors:)
    KelsoBabeyy

• My kid could point out different colors at 18 months, but that doesnt mean anything because all children are different. It's great to know he knows his numbers and alphabet, definitely doesn't seem like a learning disability.

Since he knows his numbers, I'd try this test out on him.. to see if he can differentiate (sp) the colored numbers in the circles. Good luck!

http://www.toledo-bend.com/colorblind/Ishihara.asp
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 4:35 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I would say by 2 yrs old she could tell different colors.
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 5:37 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• My kids were both 2 when they could identify colors, but remember that all kids develop differently. Work with him a little more and make a really big deal out of it if he gets it right.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 7:12 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• Some children are just faster in some areas. My son started at age 2, he is 4 now. Atleast your son is starting to read, thats a great sign. Try the building blocks (Legos) that have all the primary colors, red, blue, green, yellow, orange also. If you don't see any improvement let the doctor check him out just to be on the safe side. They have all different new visual technology for kids at young ages. I'm sure he is fine.
    kcone

Answer by kcone at 11:19 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I would try to teach him one color at a time- for example try to teach red for a week. Just point out things that are red- firetrucks, shirts, apples, etc. The next week blue, then green, and on and on until you have the colors: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, pink, brown and black. You will see if he has trouble with certain colors that way. If he does have trouble with one or two colors, consistantly, then you can tell the Dr which ones. Plus there's no pressure to learn the colors just learning one at a time and since he sounds like a bright little one he might just surprise you!
    hannahk

Answer by hannahk at 1:24 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• my daughter knew the basics when she was a little over one year old. I would definitely ask a doctor about it. Three seems a little old to me, but I know in my daughters preschool class of three year olds, they still work on a certain color every month, so it could be normal. Don't be hesitant to ask your pediatrician, though. There's nothing bad that could come of asking.
    mommee_b

Answer by mommee_b at 2:17 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• my son learned between 2-3. if he cant say "the car is blue" try making color flash cards with the 8 basic colrs to start and tell your child to give you the red card or yellow card and so on...that worked for me. Also when you point out objects, define them with color. go put your green cup in the sink or take off your blue shoes...best of luck...my youngest is 3 too ;)
    avilesmom

Answer by avilesmom at 9:58 AM on Dec. 1, 2008