6 month old sleep

My 6 month old started rolling over in his sleep a few weeks ago. He will roll onto his stomach and bury his face in the matress. He will whimper and still be asleep, so I will roll him back to his back. But he will sleep on his back for like 30 minutes or so then roll back to his stomach and whimper. So a little over a week ago I started taking him into the living room to sleep on the recliner on me. I think I have developed a habit for him and I am not sure what is the best way to keep him asleep. Do I just need to spend a couple of night rolling him back over. I tried to let him just lay on his stomach and whine but he will eventually whine so much he wakes up. If that makes any sense, anyone ever deal with this or have any ideas of what may work. His crib is also in me and my husbands room.

courtcaton

Asked by courtcaton at 4:37 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have 4 boys and once they started rolling over in the crib on their own, i never worried about it i just let them sleep that way. I just made sure that there was not any extra blankets or bumbers on the cirb to complicate things.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 5:17 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• My daughter did this. For a while I put one of those sleep positioners next to her so she couldn't roll over. I know those aren't recommended but I kind of figured her face against that had it gotten out of place wasn't all that different from her face being in the mattress, but I was cautious nonetheless. The only other thing I can think of is to give him lots of tummy time to help him learn to roll back over when he is on his stomach to his back. DH and I used to put our dd on a blanket and then we would each pick up an end of the blanket and gently lift each side so she would roll back and forth- something like that might help him learn. I would keep rolling him over versus sleeping with him in the chair- the rolling over should only last a few weeks until he gets the hang of it but if he gets used to sleeping with you that could be hard to break.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:44 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• work with him during the day to be able to roll back completely around so he can roll back and forth during the night. it is a stage all babies go though and it is best not to get hime used to a new way of sleeping during this time. It won't be long before he can do it.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:05 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• you need to get one of those bumpers that hold the baby in place while sleeping. you put it in the bed he goes in the middle and there is two bumps on both side of the baby so he cant roll over, if he is to big for one you can make one with blankets by rolling the up and doing the same thing. you baby is older now and can roll but doesnt know he cant be on him tummy so you have to show him. if you do let him stay on him tummy do it only when you are next to him watching like when he takes a nap you stay there.
    butterflies78

Answer by butterflies78 at 12:16 AM on Apr. 8, 2011