Do you meditate?

Meditation has long been touted as a holistic approach to pain relief. And studies show that long-time meditators can tolerate quite a bit of pain.

Now researchers at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center have found you don't have to be a lifelong Buddhist monk to pull it off. Novices  were able to tame pain after just a few training sessions.

Sounds a bit mystical, we know, but researchers using a special type of brain imaging were also able to see changes in the brain activity of newbies. Their conclusion? "A little over an hour of meditation training can dramatically reduce both the experience of pain and pain-related brain activation," Fadel Zeidan, a neuroscientist and the study's lead author, tells Shots. That finding's a first, Zeidan says.

In the study, a small group of healthy medical students attended four 20-minute training sessions on "mindfulness meditation" — a technique adapted from a Tibetan Buddhist form of meditation called samatha. It's all about acknowledging and letting go of distraction.

"You are trying to sustain attention in the present moment — everything is momentary so you don't need to react," Zeidan explains. "What that does healthwise is it reduces the stress response. The feeling of pain is a very blatant distraction."

Rest of article here: <a href="http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2011/04/06/135146672/even-beginners-can-curb-pain-with-meditation?sc=fb&cc=fp">Even beginners can curb pain with mediation</a>
***

This could probably go in either Health or Religion & Beliefs, but I'm choosing to put it here as I feel it's related to my beliefs and the practice of Buddhism (or any path that emphasizes the practice of meditation). I love when science and beliefs come together. :-)

pam19

Asked by pam19 at 5:01 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes, I do meditate, and I fully believe that meditation can help to control pain. I actually first became interested in meditation following the birth of my oldest child because I was beyond amazed at how much deep breathing and focus made my birth a positive experience and helped me cope with childbirth without an epidural. It was quite an endorsement of the power of the mind! Now that I am a busy mom of three I don't have as much time for formal, sitting meditation as I would like to... but I do try to be mindful and to be present in what I am doing throughout the day.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:10 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• i've seriously thought about it, but as dumb as it may sound, i have no idea what to do.
    b.leavitt101

Answer by b.leavitt101 at 5:18 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Yup! It started as a way to deal with migraines but now I am using it to prepare myself for birth!
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 5:28 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I do but not as often as I should or would like.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 6:25 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I do, but not often enough.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:14 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• No, but it sounds quite interesting. My problem would be finding a free hour in which to do it...then I would be thinking about other things that I SHOULD be doing...and how many minutes have already passed?....lol
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 11:57 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• In my own way, yes.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 1:13 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I'm not sure about anyone else, but every time I do meditate I feel refresh.
    Reirn

Answer by Reirn at 1:16 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• I meditate when in pain by slow breathing and shutting my eyes, while repeating the word calm. It works great!
    TwinkleLites

Answer by TwinkleLites at 1:17 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• need to get back into it
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 1:48 PM on Apr. 8, 2011