Two year old who refuses to take a nap

Any suggestions on getting my once naptime loving son to now take a nap. He use to go down for a nap so willing and now he stays up all day. He's so tired and cranky during the day but will not sleep. He finds other things to do during naptime instead of sleep. I'm on the verge of pulling out my hair....any ideas

jcusackrules

Asked by jcusackrules at 3:03 PM on Nov. 30, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You can try a nice long walk before naptime so he is tired physically. Play with him good and hard before nap time to tucker him out. Also limit the sugar he gets at lunchtime so he isnt hyped up from that.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 3:27 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• yeah, he plays all morning and wears us out. he runs around all day, jumps on and off the couch, races his cars on the floor, plays football, wrestles....if a walk were the case than all his normal morning activities should have him worn out but that's just not the case, and as far as sugar goes, he doesn't get any.
    jcusackrules

Answer by jcusackrules at 3:37 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• What time does he go to bed? He might be ready for a nap if he goes to bed later ...
    ddbz

Answer by ddbz at 4:13 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I read that some kids just don't want the sleep they need - My son has always had sleep issues since birth and he's only 13 months now but will only take 1 nap of 40 minutes a day and he'll be cranky and tired no matter what activities are done with him - so I have read a couple sleep books and apparently there are a small percentage of kids like ours - I haven't found a good solution but just know I am there with ya!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 8:58 PM on Nov. 30, 2008