Imaginary friends

My son is 3 1/2 years old. My husband is in the marine corps and since my son was born, we've been through 2 deployments and moved numerous times. My husband works INSANE hours and I am now 39 weeks pregnant, being induced on Monday. Are his "imaginary friends" his way of dealing with stress or is he just extremely creative? He has 2 or three of them, he says "Yoshi" (his favorite one) rides on his private parts. Is all of this normal?? I started him in a day school and he goes 2 days a week. He likes to bring his "friends" with him to school. Also, when I pick him up every day, he says "I'm just a little bit sad", I ask him why and he said "my teachers called me Nathan, thats not my name, I'm a dinosaur." He reprimands his teachers at school for calling him by his name! I'm not worried, I'm just wondering if these things are normal for his age!

ARast

Asked by ARast at 5:21 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• very normal, sounds like he has a very healthy imagination and i think he sounds like he is handling the stress of all thart moving, new sibling, dad gone alot with stride. he'll out grow the imaginary friends when he no longer needs them :)
    rhonda111787

Answer by rhonda111787 at 5:45 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Very normal. You might want to write some of the precious things down so he has it to read when he is older.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:52 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I figured that was the case. Thank you so much for your positive answer!
    ARast

Comment by ARast (original poster) at 5:52 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• yea i think it is normal. my son has 2 imaginary friends. gokey and i cant remember the 2nd. he is all the time telling me he is an officer or something he is never himself. lol. very creative!
    newlife627

Answer by newlife627 at 5:59 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• my 4 year old doesnt have her imaginary friends around as much anymore. she always had animals. For a while we had a couple horses following us everywhere. I kept accidently stepping on the things all the time and she would get mad at me. There was also a bird, a lion and a shark following us around at one time. When we are driving she will ask me to put down the car window so she can throw food to the trees.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 6:03 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Sounds like he may have a mental health issue.my son does that but he is autistic I would talk to the pediatrition
    Brandy928

Answer by Brandy928 at 6:15 PM on Apr. 7, 2011