Is it "hiding" money when I.....

use coupons but in the check register write the amount I would have paid without. Then I write the coupon total as a seperate deposit line in anotherregister. ex grocery bill is $20. coupons 5, deposit 5. It was confusing at first but I write a C so I recognize the amount will be dif than what clears the bank. I have "saved" 585.69 to date (i have an interest bearing account so.....) anywho...my sis thinks I am hiding money from my husband because the register does not reflect the correct amount we 'have expendible" BUT dh knows what I am doing he just doesn't understand it :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:22 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Money & Work

• If he knows what you are doing then I don't think that's bad. I don't think having some accounts separate is bad either. Heck you have to have retirement accounts separate-- as long as your husband knows about it- even if he doesn't understand it, I think it's fine.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 6:13 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I think if your husband knows what you are doing then it isn't hidden. I absolutely love coupons and I think it is fun to see how much you've saved - although I am not ambitious enough to have a separate bank account for it. I don't see anything wrong with it though :o) Happy couponing momma!! Have you seen the TV show 'Extreme Couponing'? It's great.
    DragonflyGirls

Answer by DragonflyGirls at 5:26 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• If he knows what you're doing ... then you're not hiding anything lol
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 5:27 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I missed the show :( from what i've heard I don't think i can go that far...but I do stock up on alot, saves those trips where you wind up buying more than you intended
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:28 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Not if he knows what you are doing. Good job finding a way to save money.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:32 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I don't think there is anything wrong with what you are doing.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 5:45 PM on Apr. 7, 2011