Do you think its okay to give a 5 year old adhd meds?

Some say yes some say no.From my experiance with my son I say yes just want others input please.

Brandy928

Asked by Brandy928 at 5:26 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I think it depends solely on your own feelings about it. I think it is beneficial for some but not others. Totally depends.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 5:28 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I think we are over medicating our children these days I mean how sad is it that on a box of Benedryl it says do not give to children to make sleepy. how lazy are we parents becoming?
    My2boys0523

Answer by My2boys0523 at 5:31 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• No. I dont believe in giving medication until all other options have been exhausted. By other options I mean behavior modification therapy, family counseling, coping methods being taught, changing of the diet, natural remedies etc. And 3rd and 4th opinions.

Answer by gemgem at 5:27 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• when all other options have been exhausted and the mother and the doctor are comfortable with the choice.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:28 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• yes
    rhonda111787

Answer by rhonda111787 at 5:28 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• My girl had ADHD due to her heart medication. With time it has reduced to ADD, but still side effect of meds. We never medicated due to her heart condition. Is she better without, who knows, it isn't a risk worth taking.
    neubren3

Answer by neubren3 at 5:29 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Yes if it is needed.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 5:29 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• it is your child..could always put him on it, if you dont like them take him off an try another thing!
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 5:29 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• No I wouldn't personally.  I can't say that someone else shouldn't give their child(ren) meds, that's for them to decide.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 5:28 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I would avoid it at all costs. I was able to avoid meds with my son, be getting rid of harmful food dyes from his diet and using methods discussed in a few books. If nothing else works, it's a personal decision for the parents to make. But parents should try other methods before using meds
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:35 PM on Apr. 7, 2011