Is cancer genetic?

If noome in my family has had cancer does that put me nd my son at a low risk??

And for people that does have family that's had cancer, does it put them at a higher risk?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:33 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Health

• Some cancer is genetic. Therefore, it would depend on the type of cancer that you were talking about. It's difficult to generalize cancer.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 5:34 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Some cancers have been genetically linked. Breast and Prostate cancer are 2 common kinds. Everyone carries the same basic risk, that risk is just higher for people with genetic predisposition.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:36 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Some of it is but anyone can be at risk because external factors such as diet and smoking, etc. can contribute to certain types. generally if a certain type of cancer runs in your family its smart to get early detection for those kinds and say no one has ever had breast cancer decreases your risk but getting checked is still important so honestly, its moot. Cancer is basically a lottery no one wants to "win"
    rhonda111787

Answer by rhonda111787 at 5:38 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I second kaylan010, adding that the genetic code is in oncogenes which are passed down. While I'll never get prostate cancer I MAY have inherited my dad's oncogenes, although not likely.
    neubren3

Answer by neubren3 at 5:40 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• It depends upon the type of cancer. Risk is a combination of genetics and lifestyle, as well as exposure to carcinogens.
    CPCrane

Answer by CPCrane at 6:59 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• i think they say no, however your risk gets higher with the more in your family that have or have had it...
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:39 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Some.
    MommaSiete

Answer by MommaSiete at 11:41 PM on Apr. 7, 2011