Anyone else lose a parent?

On March 18, 2011 I got a phone call saying my mom is gone....She was fine 2 days before that & then she was gone....How do you move on? My mom & I were close....I didn't get to say good-bye....

girliemom0406

Asked by girliemom0406 at 5:36 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Give yourself time to grieve. Eventually the happy memores fill your head and heart and you can go on with your life. Don't expect things to get back to normal overnight. Write down your feelings and/or talk to a friend who is a good listener. I have lost my mom and dad and a brother. I wish you the best. hug
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:43 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Both of my parents are gone now, and I miss them. I've also now lost my only brother, and I miss him, too. I think the way you cope is by concentrating on remembering the good times you had together, and after a while, sometimes you can smile at the memories.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:38 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• My mother died of a heart attack, in the presence of two of her daughters, and was gone within a moment. Even if you had been there, you would still have been helpless to stop what was meant to be. Sit quietly, alone in a room. Light a candle in remembrance of your lost loved one. When we think of the deceased, their spirits come to us. Speak out loud and tell your mother all the things you want her to know. And listen with your inner mind. Be aware of sensations of coolness or something touching your hair or shoulders. She's telling you that she loves you and that she's okay. This separation is difficult, I know. No matter how old you are--it's scary to suddenly be an orphan. But it isn't the end of her life. Only the beginning of a new phase. You are a part of her. Honor her memory with your life.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:45 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I have lost both my parents, one brother and my only sister....remembering the good times helps alot, as well as becoming closer w/ your remaining family members.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 5:41 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I'm so sorry.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 5:43 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I lost my dad, but I was only 6. There were times in my life that made me miss him more, when I graduated, got engaged, got married, had my kids.... It brings me some peace to know that he really didn't miss any of that and he is watching over me and my family. Like nannyb said, remember the good memories, tell your kids stories of your childhood that remind you of your mom. Maybe start a journal to your mom, letters to her. Things that you would have said to her, or things you would have shared. Time will help, but that ache will always be there.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 5:44 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• We are work-a-holics so when I lost my Dad I submerged myself in work. When my FIL died last year, my DW did the same and when her mom died the year before she worked it away. We still have trouble watching movies with parents dying and probably always will. Losing my FIL was worse, because we had no idea there was a problem. Just keep going. It's been 25 years since my dad died, it gets easier, but I still cry.
    neubren3

Answer by neubren3 at 5:45 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• my dad left us sept 11 1997 and mom went jan 4 2000
    she had cold went to the doctor stay overnight with one of my sister and she died at 2am
    yes it was hard to let her go ,but i remember the good times how she made bread for us ,or always sewing a dress for us girls
    and she had flower in her garden ,so for you just remember all good times you had and what she taught you ,talk to her as if she was there it does get easer in time and laugh do some thing in her honor
    to this day i still have mom house dress hanging in my room it means nothing to my kids but to it means every thing
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 5:48 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I'm sorry for your loss.

Grief is a wound.  It's painful, it takes time to heal and it leaves a scar.   

beeky

Answer by beeky at 5:49 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I got a call on my birthday from my sister saying our mom was dead and it was hard to believe because I just seen her 5 days before that. That was 10 yrs ago and it is still hard to deal with and sometimes I get resentful when people still have their moms around and they could care less. my dad is also gone and he died when I was 6. I wonder how life would have been to have had a father to watch me grow up and see my kids
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 6:44 PM on Apr. 7, 2011