How do I make him stop doing this???!!!

My yr old chihuahua has recently started darting out the door and into the street every time someone opens the front door! He's never acted like that before and the next time he does I swear I'm going to have a frickin heart attack!!! I'm 30 weeks preggo and too damn fat to be chasing him into the street every time I open the door! lol

I thought he KNEW BETTER then to run outside like that but he's up to doing it 3 times just this month! and I don't know what to do! I'm in the middle of crate training him (yeah I know I'm doing this late in the game but I'm tired of him peeing and pooping everywhere) and so I've read that I'm not supposed to put him in the crate as a punishment....so what the hell do I do? If he gets hit by a car I would LOSE MY MIND!!

Please ANY suggestions are appreciated. Thanx mama's

Lucky209

Asked by Lucky209 at 5:41 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Pets

• Perhaps place him in another closed room before you open the door or attach his leash to a secure anchor before you do. I would also recommend taking him out on regular leashed walks to help satisfy his need to be outdoors. Is he neutered? Dogs in heat will do anything to get out. Get him neutered if he isn't. It reduces a lot of problems and also reduces potential for some dog cancers.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 5:48 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Keep him on a dropped leash. When you need to use the door, step on the leash.
    neubren3

Answer by neubren3 at 5:47 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• All of the issues, the peeing and pooping in the house, the darting out the door sound like a bored, poorly trained dog.

He's wanting attention and by running at least he is getting it negative or not. As a PP suggested, put him on a leash. When someone comes to the door, pick up the leash, open the door and when he goes to bolt, give up one, quick upwards pop on the leash and say NO. Keep it up until he can be trusted offleash. If you spend time with him, his issues are likely to go away.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 11:34 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Hook him.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 5:44 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Leash him always. I have a Chi and I know how sneeky they can be. When you go to the door don't let him get close. He can see from a far. Does he get walked adn playe with often?
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 11:16 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• @Acid...me and DD play with him all the time...he is literally the center of attention in our home and he gets walked twice a day so I'm not sure boredom is the problem but I will admit to him being poorly triained...something I'm trying to remedy now
    Lucky209

Comment by Lucky209 (original poster) at 11:45 AM on Apr. 8, 2011