Is my child overweight?

She is 3 years 8 months old, and weights 50 lbs. I don't know if this is too much or if most kids are chubby at this age.
She's kind of plump, but is she fat?

DarcyMavis

Asked by DarcyMavis at 4:29 AM on Jul. 10, 2008 in Kids' Health

• well depends on how tall she is. i would say if shes average hieght then yes 50 lbs seems to be alot. Alivia is very petite in weight and a tiny bit taller in hieght so i dont really go off of her wieght on how big 3 year olds should be. But shes 29 lbs. Also knowing what i know about carseats which im a nerd about. at 4 average kids are 40 lbs.
    cudybug

Answer by cudybug at 8:15 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I agree it depends on height. Your doctor should have proportion charts. My son has been in the 95th % for weight his whole life but he's also always been in the 90's % for height too which makes him a big boy but well-proportioned.
    Ask your dr. but don't stress about it just yet because she'll pick up on that (girls just intrinsically do) The last thing you want to do is pass on weight worry to your little girl.
    Gotoyourmoms

Answer by Gotoyourmoms at 8:58 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• I ALSO THINK HER HEIGHT HAS TO BE CONSIDERED-BUT TO ADD: MY DAUGHTERS 5YEARS OLD AND SHES 45LBS,SHES SLINDER BUT TALL. :) ~KAY
    KAYOCHOA

Answer by KAYOCHOA at 12:25 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• If she's average height or shorter - YES she's overweight.
    Whats her height?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• My 3 year old daughter is 37 lbs and 41 1/4 on height.
    Her percentile for height is off the charts, and she use to always be at the 98 Percentile and now over that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• I went to your Profile to see if you had Photos of your Daughter, and seen them. Yes she is overweight! Have you talked to her doctor about it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• My daughter just turned 2 and she is 30 pounds. She is really tall for her age though...wearing 4T shirts and 3T pants. It all really depends on her height. Some kids are a little chubbier when they're little and then grow out of it as they get older. She will probably have a growth suprt and it will all even itself out.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:25 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• I went to your page too look at photos of your DD like another poster..
    She's absolutely beautiful.. but yes, she is definitely over-weight. I would cut out sugar and sweets (fruits are okay as treats- but no more than 3 servings a day) and have her meals consist of mostly veggies. Don't give her anything fried.. go for things that are grilled or broiled. Go for chicken or fish instead of steak/hamburgers/hot dogs, etc.
    Childhood obesity and diabetes are rapidly increasing in the US these days. Get her in the habit of healthy eating NOW.. It'll be easier to do now since she's still pretty young.. the older she gets, the harder it will be to control her eating habits.
    Good Luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Jul. 17, 2008