Any ideas on what i can do about the cat from across the street??

this little old lady used to live across the street, she had a dog and this cat....me and my dad think she either died or got taken to a home about a month ago because her cat has been coming to eat my cats food, i want him to be able to eat but he wont come near me at all and i wanna make sure he's ok and isnt to thin (he's really fluffy) and i wanna give him a bath he smells like he was stuck in the old ladies house and peed everywhere

does anyone have any ideas on how i can get this cat to trust me and come a little close to me so i can check him out and make sure he's healthy?

(p.s. he's sitting outside meowing right now as i type this so imma go try to see if he'll come to me when i have tuna, or ill just leave it there for him to eat)

Lizzypuppylove

Asked by Lizzypuppylove at 5:47 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Pets

• get some tuna and call the cat to you.
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 6:04 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• lol i tried that but i just had to put it on the place where he sits and i had to walk back inside before he ate it

Lizzypuppylove

Comment by Lizzypuppylove (original poster) at 6:06 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Never seen a cat that wouldn't come right to a person holding an open can of tuna.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 6:08 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• he wont even come near me when i have a normal bowl of food he just runs from me even when i walk out the door he's over the fence hiding from me
    Lizzypuppylove

Comment by Lizzypuppylove (original poster) at 6:11 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• If he's been alone for a while, he's probably not sure what is going on and of course is scared. Keep setting out food for him, and water. Gradually move it closer to your house. After a day or two, if he's comfortable coming closer to your house, try holding food for him. Cats take a while to get used to someone sometimes, I know mine do. Before you try to give him a bath, make sure you put on long sleeves and thick gloves because you don't know what germs/illnesses he might be carrying that can be spread to you through scratch or bite. I have also found it MUCH easier to give them a bath if I wrap them in a towel before putting them in the water, it makes it where they don't struggle as much. Good luck, he looks like a cute kitty
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 6:49 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• If he see's that you are feeding him, thats one way to slowly gain his trust. I did the same with a stray cat I saw wondering around. I slowly fed him and called him and when i would feed him i would talk in a soft calm voice and he would come up and eat, at first he wouldnt let me touch him, but after about a week of me feeding him every day he let me pet him. I would put the food out and back away and then when he would come up to eat I would very slowly move towards him...Kinda like a crawl. It sounds rediculous but it worked! He was scarred but I think he finally found out that I wasnt going to hurt him and I finally gained his trust. Sometimes it takes time, be patient and I'm sure he will eventually come to you.
    urbuttacup88

Answer by urbuttacup88 at 9:59 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• it will take awhile.. you dont know what kind of environment he came from... maybe it was just feed and not paid attention to... I had an older cat that lived with an elderly person... she was scared to death to come out of hiding the first month and till the day she died, if she got outside she wouldnt let anyone come near her, including me ............I think he is so overwhelmed and scared to death being outside and dosent know whoto trust because the only person he knows is gone... I would quietly sit on the porch and place the food about five feet from you, and as he eats softly talk to him... each time move the can just inches closer and continue to talk to him, dont try to touch him till he comes to you... you dont want to get bit and end up getting rabie shots and the cat PTS to be tested for it...
    TraceyLu

Answer by TraceyLu at 2:34 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• you may have to get a catch pen and try that. you will have to keep him out of the other cats food though and put him some in the cage.
    BAMAROSE132322

Answer by BAMAROSE132322 at 5:04 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• It could take time to get the cat to trust you. It took 3 years for one of our feral cats to trust me enough for a quick pet. I wouldn't immediately try to give it a bath either since that will undo any trust the cat has started to have in you. With good food and clean water the cat will probably settle down and start cleaning itself. If you want to get it's health checked out you can try a live trap and take it to the vet for a check up.
    Keksie

Answer by Keksie at 7:44 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• poor kitty. Be patient,it seems like he is not use to human contact.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 7:03 PM on Apr. 9, 2011