Why would a principal want to look at a child's report card?

today was report card day and when i asked the oldest she said they told her the principal wanted to look at it.

oldfashionSAHM

Asked by oldfashionSAHM at 5:53 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• In elementary school, the principal had to approve ALL report cards before they went home. It is a way to insure that the teachers are doing their jobs correctly. I would NOT be concerned at all. Principals have every right to look at a child's report card and grades. Maybe he has reason to question what the TEACHER is doing with the report cards and wants to do some quality control.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:37 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Call the principal before he/she goes home, they should be able to look at a report card with a computer,, sounds a bit fishy to me? Do you have reason to think this might not be a good report card?
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 5:56 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Our school's principal looks all report cards over before they are handed out. Ours are done completely by hand, nothing is on the computer, just to "dispute" kimi.
    Anonymous

• who told her this? Just wondering more particulars. I would tell her to be very aware of what he says. It is not normal to me and sending up a red flag. Sorry.....I worry about stuff like this.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:58 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• yeah that's what i was thinking. she said her tutor told her. but she could just be saying that. and the teacher just didn't give it to them. my 3rd grader didn't get hers but my 1st grader did. this school never gives out stuff when they are suppose too.
    oldfashionSAHM

Comment by oldfashionSAHM (original poster) at 6:04 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I think it's fair that a principal can look at it but at the same time a specific reason and formal request to the parent must be made. Perhaps the principal is investigating the effectiveness / fair grading of a certain teacher or has been notified of some concern by the teacher about the child's progress. The more interest you show in accountability for the school's actions, the less likely they will do something shady. Not all schools are virtuous.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 7:27 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• hmmm somethings up. My kids principal is very involed in the childrens activities in school but he maily works with behavior modification. He won't ask for report cards. he will ask the kids how they are enjoying school and if they ar doing well. Other than that nothing.
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 9:51 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Call the school
    christinahenry

Answer by christinahenry at 1:56 AM on Apr. 19, 2011