Both of my kids are autistic..

My kids are 2 and 3. They are both boys and they have eating issues. Does anyone know of any foods that really picky eaters will eat? I know of Gluten free and all that stuff. I'm very educated on autism, just not so much on the foods for the ones that won't eat.

alicia37863

Asked by alicia37863 at 5:57 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I thought they didn't diagnose autism until 3? I would say that try to find a few foods from a few different groups they will eat, my son went through a mac and chees phase, and I ended up puree'ing cauliflower to put in it.. Trial and errror is about the best I know, LOL!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 6:00 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• My son had a feeding disorder and we went through early intervention to get a feeding therapist in our house to help us. She was great! Our pedi was the one who got us connected with them.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 6:00 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• i know this one real well with my asd son , i try to disquise foods - dont work to often tho , so i give him vitamins , and let him eat his favorite food as much as he wants otherwise he wouldnt get many calories , also he likes the boost and ensure strawberry drinks so i use those for nutrition
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 6:32 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Thanks so much ladies. My son was diagnosed before he was 3. and my other son is 2 and has aa dif form of it.
    alicia37863

Comment by alicia37863 (original poster) at 6:59 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I have two boys who were diagnosed with autism - the older one was diagnosed at 3 and the younger was diagnosed at 2. The older one is now still in a special education classroom, the younger one is completely mainstreamed and has been since kindergarten. At his last evaluation he did not meet the criteria for the diagnosis any longer, but I've been there!
    I always gave them vitamins and gave them what they would eat. Usually, it would be a one food kick for a long time and then it would switch to something else. My oldest is still very picky - he will eat spaghetti with sauce (but it has to be "sticks" no other shape of pasta), peanut butter sandwiches, applesauce, raisins, pizza, chicken nuggets, and fries - and pretty much nothing else. My youngest eats almost anything - he started growing out of his pickiness around 3rd grade. Good luck!

Answer by missanc at 10:02 AM on Apr. 8, 2011