Bring our troops home?????

While waiting in line at the grocery store there is a conversation between an elderly man and a young woman with 2 kids. She is complaining because her husband is overseas serving our country. She thinks all of our troops across the world should be brought home. The elderly man explains that by doing so, we would be inviting war to our own soil. When asked if she had thought about that, her reply was that she didn't care cause at least her husband would be home. The man turned away, sadly shaking his head.

Do we really want our troops home and have war brought to our own soil? Do people really think it would not happen???

foreverb3

Asked by foreverb3 at 6:15 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• The majority of young wives don't realize just what it is they're getting into when they say "I do" (NOTE I said THE MAJORITY NOT ALL), I talk to wives like this all the time being in the KVN in the Corps and now the FRG here in the Army. They don't care about duty or the threats to our country all they can see is that their husband's gone while their civilian buddies get to spend all day everyday with theirs. In time one of two things happens in these situations: she leaves, or she realizes that the needs of the country come before her own and that she's part of something larger then herself.

In answer to your question there are many people, affiliated with the military or not, that don't understand what it means to have a war on our soil because the last time it happened was the civil war. 9/11 is a bad dream on a good day and a horrible but fading memory on a bad day. They, like that wife, don't see the bigger picture.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 6:21 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• i think and i am not trying to put words in this woman mouth she was just missing her hubby she wasn't thinking about her response. I could be wrong. Being a military wife myself there are many days when i wish he was home at that this was over but i also realize this is all happening for a reason.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 6:20 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Navy, Marines and Coast Guard on the coast, Army, Marines, National Guard on the ground and Air Force and NG protecting airspace...It would take 1 tough group to infiltrate the sum total of all the best fighters + equipment in the world. Although, I think the young woman was naive in her thinking, I also believe with massive numbers of specially trained troops ready and engaged, it would be difficult for a foreign militia to be successful-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 6:25 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Carpy, the majority of the civilian population doesn't seem to realize that 9/11 was an act of war. They blow it off as a lucky terrorist attack or the far loonier truther thing. There are idiots that feel that the attack was justified and that we deserved it.

Given our loose borders and how hampered our intel is on the best of days, a widespread attack is a distinct possibility. I read questions from people worried about the radiation leak from Japan right now, and I have to wonder how people in this country would deal with dirty nukes going off in several cities at once. My guess is ... not very well.

People today are spoiled rotten. Unlike the rest of the world, war on US soil is a distant memory or merely a history lesson that most can snooze through. The realities escape them.

OP, I'd "like" our troops home, but I understand why they are deployed/stationed around the globe.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 7:35 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• What I do not understand is those who verbalize the horror of having attacks similar to 9-11 on our soil, yet in the next breath express support for said behaviors by America (ns) in other countries around the globe. I know many will defend the "why" of these efforts in the ME particularly, I'm talking about fundamental beliefs. How come citizens in the rest of the world are not allowed to have the same beliefs about their countries? WHY is ok for us to traipse into their country and at times wreck havoc, yet at the same time, many are appalled that such might happen here? Arrogant thinking...and we are not, nor should we be, IMO, the United Nations of the entire world-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 8:29 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• She's just an ignorant selfish woman. She knew that marrying a man in the military meant the possibility of him going overseas. I'm in the navy and I know come june when I transfer there's the possibility of me going overseas to Afghanistan or Iraq, and I'm willing to go if thats what it takes to keep the ones I love and others safe. Yes there's always the possibility of an attack. How can she be so ignorant?
    anthonys_mom21

Answer by anthonys_mom21 at 6:21 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Do people need reminded of 9-11?
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 6:38 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I tend to agree with the fact that many people have put 9/11 as a distant memory. As for the USA not having something that foreign nations want.....that is not a true statement. We are vulnerable because we have no money, no oil, no sound economy. We are ripe for the taking and taking our country would be a world-wide coup for the faction that was able to do that. We would be no longer the mighty USA. We would be an invaded, foreign controlled country. It is our country and its people that other nations want to see be brought to our knees.
    foreverb3

Comment by foreverb3 (original poster) at 8:24 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• There is zero proof that ending our invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan would bring anything to our shores, but our soldiers
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 8:36 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Sister~~~~~~~There are still many countries ruled by a dictatorship and the people are not a free people. Our goal is to help them gain that freedom and do away with the horrors from the likes of Saddam Hussein and others like him. Our men and women that enlist in the Armed Forces are well aware of the fact they may go overseas and there may be times of war when they sign on the dotted line. Yes, I agree we are not the United Nations and hopefully we never will be. But, we are the world leader. At least we were until now.
    foreverb3

Comment by foreverb3 (original poster) at 8:37 PM on Apr. 7, 2011