Hmmm not sure what to do....

Okay so me and DH are getting about $4000 back with our tax return in a few weeks....the original plan for the money was to get all the things we need for the baby who is due in June, get some of the issues with our car fixed, and get a big screen TV...DH also wanted to give me $400 to do with as I pleased (I'm SAHM) he's actually "forbidden" me to buy him, our daughter or the baby anything with the money and won't let me buy anything for the house either...he says the money is for me and me alone....of course this made me super happy lol but recently we have had to borrow a significant amount of money from my mother that we need to pay back so now DH is talking about he won't be able to get his TV...when I told him that I don't need the money he was going to give me he kind of got mad and told me that I deserve to have something just for me because I work as hard as he does and yadda, yadda, yadda lol (so sweet lol)

Anyways I feel really bad that he won't be able to get his TV....he was really, REALLY looking forward to it...so should I take the money he was going to give me and buy the TV for him and just deal with his reaction later or what? I'm not even sure why he got so mad when I suggested not taking the money...it was a little weird lol....

What would you do?

Lucky209

Asked by Lucky209 at 6:26 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Relationships

• I would spend maybe $100 in something I have want to get in long time so he feels happy that he help you to get that so desire item. I would save the rest for later. I am a SAHM too, and some times is so hard to give him a present since he would know what it will be righ away, so is good to have some money save for those times.
    Other alternative is to split the money, you could find a tv in Craigslist for more cheaper price.
    What ever is your decision I think some body should get lucky tonight (wink, wink) for being such a nice husband.
    4loveofmy2

Answer by 4loveofmy2 at 6:39 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• i'd pay back my mother before i spent the money on a TV or personal items 'fun' items.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:29 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• let me ask you this...do you ever get to have "me time"? Go out and do whatever you want? Mani/pedi, get your hair done?? Shopping? Dinner with friends??

Well paying back your mom is first...since you would feel really silly telling her you bought a tv when she KNEW you owed her.

Maybe keep $200 for yourself and give your dh the other $200 to save for a tv.
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 6:33 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• This actually sounds just like what me and dh just went through and I let him get tv and we both enjoy it.
    sarah389

Answer by sarah389 at 6:30 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Maybe suggest splitting the $400 in half so he can start saving for a tv. He is trying so hard to show how much he appreciates you. He wants you to have the money. I think by not taking it you will make him upset.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 6:32 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• i didn't understand her to say that, specifically, kword. geesh. thank you for correcting me.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:34 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I'd buy the tv and say, it's for me too, I'm at home more than you anyways...
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 6:29 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• dullscissors, she just said she was going to pay the mother back before anything. that's the whole reason he can't afford the tv in the first place....
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 6:32 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Hmmm...What a sweetie! I would say if he got that mad about it, he would REALLY get mad if you went and got the tv without him knowing. I really have a hard time spending any money on myself...ever. My husband gets irritated, too. Maybe you could take him out on a really nice date with the money, something for the both of you together? Whatever it is, good luck and hang onto that one!
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 6:31 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Yes..@dullscissors....money is already alloted to my mother which is why he is saying he can't get the TV....the money that he's giving me would have gone towards the TV
    Lucky209

Comment by Lucky209 (original poster) at 6:31 PM on Apr. 7, 2011