Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am thinking about babysitting in my home for extra dough...

I live in California, do I have to do anything special?

Answer Question

Asked by ochsamom at 6:36 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Money & Work

Level 22 (12,399 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • Depends on how many children you plan on watching. Check with the city you live in and find out. I know in Co. you can only have so many kids without having a daycare license. Not sure the amount

    Answer by Zakysmommy at 6:39 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

  • i recommend reading this journal:

    Answer by mellypoo at 6:51 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

  • make sure you have some sort of contract between you and the parents.
    It isn't the kids that are hard to deal with, it's the parents, and in my experience-somehow they never feel the need to give you any notice when they will no longer be using your services. I had one call and say Thank you-you have been great, but Grandma wants to watch her now so we won't need you anymore and that was it-I was done. Another wrote me a bad check the last week I watched her kids then had the nerve to call me when I kept trying to cash it-and her bank kept charging her- and tell me that I was a bitch for trying!
    This was also a woman who would call me and ask to watch them late (after having them 11 hours already) so she could go out for drinks with friends from work...just be aware and cover yourself ;)

    Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:43 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

  • oh Charlot what a mess. Ty for sharing with me.

    Comment by ochsamom (original poster) at 9:08 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

  • I have a parent handbook. It outlines my hours, rates, late fees. The parents must pay me Monday morning when they drop off their children for the week. It gets into the bank by the next day so if the money isn't there I don't provide care the rest of the week (this has not happened yet) The handbook also goes over what I provide, parents provide such as food, diapers, etc. They then sign that they have read and understand. This leaves little room for questions. Where I live I can watch up to three unrelated children without a license, but it varies state to state.

    Answer by JamieLK at 10:34 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.