Son Throwing Up w/Small Amt. of blood in it

Over the last 5 days, my 5 y/o son has thrown up several times (5 days ago...Wednesday....he threw up twice; yesterday he threw up once; today he has thrown up twice). The food he eats varies from day-to-day, so I don't believe it's a food allergy. This morning he started having bad diarrhea (no consistency, just watery) along with the vomiting. Just a few minutes ago he threw up and there was a small amt. of blood in it. (which I have read can be normal) He doesn't have a fever.

He is drinking (sipping) fluids and I have tried giving him small amounts of bland food, however he's not hungry. Just very thirsty, which is to be expected.

Is there anything going around that fits that description? I mean, like, just some random stomach virus? Opinions, anybody?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:14 PM on Nov. 30, 2008 in Kids' Health

• If he has a sore throat that could explain the small amount of blood. Unless he's been seriously ill and throwing up a lot, then I don't think blood is normal. I would worry--or at least call the doctor to get a professional opinion in the morning. I've only ever had the stomach flu for a day or two, never that long. Make sure to keep him hydrated! See if he'll have a couple popsicles. Most kids don't say no to those ;)
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:17 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• I am thinking that the throwing up has caused a few of the blood vessels in the stomach to bleed a bit, but even if this would be the case, which we don't know, I'd say take him to the doctor as soon as possible or, for your peace of mind, to the emergency room.

Answer by Bmat at 3:16 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• You need to call a doctor NOW. Anytime a child is throwing up more then a couple of days is bad, and blood is NEVER normal. Please call a doctor.
    Star76

Answer by Star76 at 3:18 PM on Nov. 30, 2008

• call the doctor
    Anonymous

• Here in my area strep is going around... But I don't think vomiting is a symptom of strep... Call the doctor they could tell you whats going around. That's how I found about the strep.
    Amber1109

Answer by Amber1109 at 3:18 PM on Nov. 30, 2008