Is it bad to start your four month old on foods , just snacks or gerber, or etc???

guera1977

Asked by guera1977 at 6:54 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Personally, I would not. I recommend nothing other then breast milk or formula until at LEAST 6 mos.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:56 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I think so, I've heard/read that Dr's don't recommend feeding them anything until they are six months of age.
    But I could be wrong.
    Personally I would wait until at least six months of age.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 7:02 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I started my son out at 4 months old because the formula just wasn't do it for him. He was constantly hungry. He loved it.
    alicia37863

Answer by alicia37863 at 7:02 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I started my baby on jar foods at 5 months. His daycare wanted to start him at 4 but his pediatrician advised against it. I guess it depends on the baby. A friend of mine started her son on jar foods at 3 months. He's a happy healthy baby at 9 months. If you think your son is ready go for it. Just make sure you wait a few days before introducing new foods to watch for allergic reactions. Good luck!
    anthonys_mom21

Answer by anthonys_mom21 at 7:05 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• My dd's dr has always told me nothing until 6 months old and start with oatmeal/cereal and veggies and then fruit and at 9 months old start with the meat.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 7:11 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• It really depends. With my son the guideline was 4-6 months old you can start introducing solids. With my daughter it was NO SOLIDS until at least 6 months old. They're 3 1/2 years apart in age. My doctor told us, with our daughter, at her four month appointment we could start solids. BUT, she was sitting well on her own, had excellent head control, and was super interested in what the rest of us were eating.

Talk to your doctor and see what s/he recommends.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:18 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• i dont think it is bad..i just didnt do it with my boys. I did give my first son rice cereal at 4 months, but he is the only one i bottle fed too. I breastfed my other 3 boys and did not give them food until about 7 monhts old....with the exception of my 4th son, but he was not gaining weight so it was recommended that i start with food at about 5 months. He never took any baby food or pured food. He went right to table food. It all just depends on the child and the circumstances.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 7:18 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• i personally feel you should always go with your motherly instinct on this, within reason of course. like, don't feed him a peanut butter and honey sandwith with a glass of milk.. lol. but what's right for one child may not be right for another so nobody can tell you but you if your child is ready for pureed/mashed food yet.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:32 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• The Gerber puffs & things like that? No way. They need to be well-established on other foods first - the puree-type foods. The snacks & things like that are meant for older babies who can pick them up & get them to their mouths without help, around 7-8 months. 4 months is even early for cereal, purees, etc.
    Anonymous

• First off, it doesn't matter when YOU want them to eat. There are guidelines to make sure baby is ready. 6 months is generic, but, even later is still acceptable. If you baby CANNOT sit unassisted, they aren't ready, if they haven't the ability to grab foods and chew them, they aren't ready.

Purees from a jar are processed junk, "baby snacks" are processed junk. And super expensive.

Snacks are NOT for a new eater. They are for kids that have been eating for a while.

Google "baby led solids"....if you wait until baby can sit alone and when baby grabs food off your plate, brings it to it's mouth and CHEWS it...they are ready for soft finger foods. Baby doesn't need teeth to eat, but, DOES need to wait until it has a mature gut.
    Rice cereal is void of anything healthy. cook and grind your own brown rice.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:00 PM on Apr. 7, 2011