How To strengthen my son's upper body to catch up to his lower part.

my 6month old son is very strong on his lower half, he loves to stand and try to walk. he stands up by himself for a 1min with holding on to toy that he can stand up to play with. He tries to crawl, and can get his legs where they need to go, but can't get up on all 4's because his upper body can't do it. He sit up by himself too.
His pediatrician thinks he will be walking around 8-10months and skip crawling.
I can help him get up on all 4's by letting him put his arms out where they need to be, and lifting his belly up and he gets his legs then where they need to be and he actually crawls.
Is this normal, or is there any exercises i can do to help his upper half catch up to his lower half.

2boysyahoo.com

Asked by 2boysyahoo.com at 6:54 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Lay your baby, face up in your bed, stand next to the bed and hold your baby's hands and pull him toward you for a 2 seconds and put him slowly back. You can sing a song, say peek a boo, count, make silly faces, etc.
    4loveofmy2

Answer by 4loveofmy2 at 7:07 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• try getting him in the crawling position and hold hin at the hips. Hold out toys for him to try to grab. this will also help with coordination. i think his upper body will catch up on its own though. crawling will definetly help strengthen his upper body. ppl think it is not a milestone, but as our childs PT says...it is.
    Anonymous

• You can put him in your lap and hold on to his hands and have him do pull ups with you. Say "up" then "down" that way he's learning two things..
    alicia37863

Answer by alicia37863 at 7:09 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• My son was the same way. I think this is pretty normal. Just give him time, and do playfull things with his arms.
    PattyAlvis

Answer by PattyAlvis at 7:11 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Push ups!! Just kidding. Leave him alone. He has to figure this out himself. If his arms can't support him yet, don't force him to do it. Have patience.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:12 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• He sounds normal to me. You can't force upper-body strengthening in an infant - it will come with time. Lots of tummy time is about the only way to help!
    Anonymous

• He's only six months old so I don't think he's behind on upper body strength, maybe just a little ahead on lower body strength. I would give him lots of time on the floor and those muscles will develop on their own thru his everyday movements.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 8:54 PM on Apr. 7, 2011