Too young to diagnose with asthma?

My son has had a nebulizer since he was 4 months old. He has a little cough that he has at night and his pediatrician thought nightly treatments of albuterol would clear up his cough but its still there and now he wheezes from time to time. They prescribed him budesonide to take with the albuterol every four hours until he stops wheezing when he has wheezing spells. He's 9 months old now and last month he had an allergic reaction to baby yogurt and broke out really bad. He has a milk protien sensitivity and eczema. He has had this constant cold that never goes away since he was 2 months old. He's had RSV twice, croup and pneumonia and now a sore throat. He's had 5 ear infections already too. Is it possible he has asthma or is he too young to diagnose?

anthonys_mom21

Asked by anthonys_mom21 at 7:18 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• they don't typically diagnose until they're 5. the reason is its really really hard to diagnose a young child with asthma, even though it may very well be asthma. sometimes when children get older, say 3, 4 or 5, the symptoms will either stay the same, get worse, or go away completely, then they can do a more accurate diagnosis from there. usually when they only have asthma symptoms when they're sick with a cold, and otherwise when not sick fine, it's not considered asthma.

my 2 year old was diagnosed with "reactive airway disease" which is a fancy word for asthma. the doctors didn't want to diagnose her yet even though all the symptoms are there. and her symptoms only flare up when she's sick. asthma is a very tricky thing to diagnose!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:25 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• This may be me projecting, but I went through this. My daughter was a few months older when symptoms arose, but it was her heart. A condition that occurs 1 in a million and so it was missed until she was getting her lungs xrayed and they noticed her heart was "the size of Kansas." what strikes me is the constant on again off again cold. Be diligent until he's healthy.
    neubren3

Answer by neubren3 at 7:23 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• My son is on the same nebulizer treatment yours is, and has been since he was 7months (he's 19m now), but we also do xopenex and palmicourt and then albuterol is our rescue. He was diagnosed with asthma at 7-8 months and its irritated by allergies.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 7:31 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• My DD was diagnosed with asthma somewhere between 6 months to a year old (I cannot remember exact) my nephew was diagnosed with asthma at 2 months. You will have to talk to your doctor about it. Good luck!
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 7:32 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• It sounds like they are treating it as if it were asthma. A nebulizer and Albuterol are for asthma. But it's not working, that would concern me.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:25 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• both my kids were diagnosed at 9 mts.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 9:15 PM on Apr. 7, 2011