Why pay Congress if the government shuts down?

I'm thinking somebody is not doing their job ~

If we careen over a cliff on Friday and the American government shuts down, hard-working federal workers will stop getting paychecks, but the members of Congress responsible for the shutdown are expected to be paid as usual.

The upshot is that federal workers who do important work for the public — cleaning up toxic waste, enrolling sick people into lifesaving medical trials, answering medical hot lines, running national parks, processing passport applications — risk being sent home and going unpaid. But members of Congress would continue to receive $174,000 a year. As the humorist Andy Borowitz wrote in a Twitter message:  “That’s like eliminating the fire dept & sending checks to the arsonists.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/07/opinion/07kristof.html?src=ISMR_HP_LO_MST_FB

tasches

Asked by tasches at 7:20 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Well, I think that the republicans should donate their checks to a relief fund for Federal employees ~ adnilm

Why? Federal employees can claim unemployment. It's the troops and their families that are getting screwed by the dems AND their own CinC refusing to sign off on making sure that they get paid.

Wonder if Obama will also refuse to FEED his soldiers ... like Saddam. Oh. Wait. He IS refusing to feed their families. Imagine that. Hope and change now means make the soldiers fight his wars without pay while their spouses and babies sit at home without food or other essentials.

I know a lot of cuss words ... but I'm not certain that I could wax profane enough to really convey what I think about our congresscritters or the potus ...
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 8:44 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Our COTUS can ~ and should be changed regarding this issue. The fact that they haven't managed to come up with a budget prior to the elections or since that point is whopping proof that they don't care enough to do the job they are getting paid for. A day or two is one thing. Even a week or two under some circumstances would be understandable.

Six months ?!? Personally I think they should all be locked in and forced to wear pink boxer shorts and eat balogna sandwiches until they get their thumbs out of their butts and do their job.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 7:27 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I agree. Why penalize those who carry out the work and policies when it's the policy makers that obviously didn't do their job. They should all be fired/penalized for failing to carry out their fiduciary duty.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 7:23 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• On this same vein........WHY pay congress when they're no longer serving a term of service? If John I. Diot serves even one term he gets that pay for the rest of his life. That sounds like a HUGE waste to me.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:32 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I agree. I heard they will vote to get their pay or not. We shall see who votes for and against!
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 7:41 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I think if you screw up your job so badly that the government has to shut down then they should all be fired.
    Anonymous

• Well, thank PBO, Pelosi, and Reid. This was the job of the House before Oct. 2010 to pass this year's budget. They didn't even bring it up. Now, it is the elephant in the room and they want to blame the repubs or better yet - the Tea Party. Well, ladies, it is the fault of the leaders in 2010. I think they deliberately waited knowing that they election would go as it did. That way, they think they have something to blame on the conservatives. Well, it doesn't work. We know who was responsible to fund the gov't for 2011 and it wasn't the Congress in session now.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:46 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Because our Constitution states their pay CAN NOT be witheld from them in the event the Govt shuts down due to no budget.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 7:23 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I agree, Manchin has agreed to donate his salary to charity along with Issa maybe some others will follow suit.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:07 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I think your worrying unnecessarily. When pay day comes if there is nothing in your account I will be the first to apologize. but we've seen this situation multiple times in the past where the gov faces shut down ... the military always ends up paid. ~ anon

Well thanks anon ~ but my DH is not AD. He's retired. My son is not ... how about you pony up and apologize to my grandbabies .... I'm sure with a little squirt of ketchup a nice apology will fill their bellies.

I'm not worried. I'm angry. Actually I'm mad as hell at the sorry sacka masquerading as CinC.

Out of curiosity, what part of "A senior administration official also said that military personnel would continue to earn money, however they wouldn't actually receive it until the government is funded again. They'll be receiving full pay checks until April 8." did you miss? Obama has stated he will veto the bill that would pay them until the end of the fiscal year
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 10:57 PM on Apr. 7, 2011