Can you get sunburned through a car window?

I'm thinking - yes!

In a study published last year in The Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, researchers at St. Louis University School of Medicine examined the records and histories of more than 1,000 patients referred to a local skin cancer clinic. They found that people who had spent the most time driving a car each week were more likely to develop skin cancers on the left sides of their bodies and faces — the side exposed to more sunlight while driving. In patients with malignant melanoma, the deadliest form of skin cancer, 74 percent of the tumors were found on the left sides, compared with 26 percent on the right.

(Oops, Iost that original link, please excusee). 

tasches

Asked by tasches at 7:33 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Travel

• i think so
    malleymom106

Answer by malleymom106 at 7:34 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• logically i would have thought yes, so these study results seem mostly logical to me. unless your car window has UV protectant, then you're exposed to the bad parts of sunlight even in a car. but doesn't this kind of assume that everyone is driving the same way at the same time of day?
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 7:40 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• If theres sun and skin and the sun's on the skin it will more than likely be burnt.
    HypoHeartBaby

Answer by HypoHeartBaby at 7:41 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• OMG YES!!!
    It was awful, and all on ONE SIDE!!! Drove from Co to MN in July and burnt so bad... the windows were up and it was all my right side. My arm, shoulder, top of my thigh and my right cheek. So embarrassing because I even tanned after lol
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 7:55 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• yes you can, here in Guadalajara they literally sell you sleeves for you to wear while driving or as a passanger, our vehicle has tinted windows and yes we burned until we bought the sleeves!
    MexTexmom2

Answer by MexTexmom2 at 1:47 PM on Apr. 8, 2011

• i would think yes ,,, ur arm does burn and my face has before just driving a couple of hours
    frances693

Answer by frances693 at 2:01 PM on Apr. 9, 2011

• Yes, you can!
    travellingmom20

Answer by travellingmom20 at 8:37 AM on Apr. 10, 2011