How many have a difficult relationship with there parents?

Crissy9832

Asked by Crissy9832 at 7:35 PM on Apr. 7, 2011 in Relationships

• I do. My mom is about to marry for the third time, and has an alcohol and prescription pill problem. It's tough.
    cdecker83

Answer by cdecker83 at 7:37 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I do. Parents are too controlling, illogical at times and easily influenced by a lazy, dishonest sibling. They only call when they want to get nosey about my life or need something. I gave up on them a long time ago. It's a shame but parents should encourage togetherness and support.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 7:45 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I do also with my mom. Havent talked to her or seen her in almost 5 yrs.
    Crissy9832

Comment by Crissy9832 (original poster) at 7:50 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• Controlling, manipulative, and completely unbearable. I just recently started talking to them because my sister asked me to. They are older now so it's a matter of time.
    chgomom

Answer by chgomom at 7:59 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I do. My relationship with my mom has improved a LOT lately, but before that.... it was awful. She used to be on all sorts of meds- both for depression and pain, and she would drink like a fish with them. This of course made her into a crazy, raving bitch, but no one could tell her. She left me when I was a baby with my grandparents, then tried to take me away years later and wondered why I didn't want to go. Our issues go way back, but like I said, she's apologized and is improving her life for me and her grandkids, which is a Godsend. My dad, on the other hand, has been absent pretty much since I was a baby. He tried to get visitation, but never could get it enforced and spend thousands in court costs and even more in child support. I went and met him when my first DD was born, back in '01, and we instantly bonded. His health has declined recently, and his wife has taken an extreme dislike to me and my kids, so... their loss
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:49 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I don't have a relationship with my parents at all. My mother is dead and my dad has alzhiemers, and he doesn't even remember me.
    stitchintime

Answer by stitchintime at 9:10 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• My Mom and I have a rocky relationship. She is very hard to deal with. You would think a Mom would be more caring, nuturing and supportive. Not my Mom.
    dlee620

Answer by dlee620 at 10:17 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I used to have a difficult relationship with my dad but it has improved greatly after my parents got divorced. In the opposite realm of he spectrum, my relationship with my mom is quite strained. She has moved 8 hours away and I haven't seen her since right after Christmas. She doesn't call and when I call her she doesn't answer. I have tried and done what I could to improve our relationship, it's in her court now.
    saydeejo

Answer by saydeejo at 10:42 PM on Apr. 7, 2011

• I have a difficult relationship with my mom. I live next door to her and yet we rarely see each other or talk to each other. If i talk to her on the phone occasionally, it is very brief. My mom is so selfish and self-centered. She has another child that she favors over me, and she treats my half-sister and her child so special. My mom makes no effort to be involved in my life or my kid's and grandkid's life. She acts like my half-sister & niece is the only child and grandchild she got. She acts like i am just a neighbor, not her daughter. That is how cool she is with me. And i have done nothing to it, i guess all this negativity comes from her not loving my dad, she says that she never was in love with my dad, and don't have any idea why she even married him to start with. and she is still with my half-sister's dad, she loves my half-sister's dad so that is why she treats us so different.
    Honda309

Answer by Honda309 at 6:17 AM on Apr. 8, 2011

• Mom did not go to my kid's high school graduations, but she is at school every saturday during basketball season at my niece's games. Mom makes no effort to go to any of my grandkid's birthday parties, but she is at my niece's birthday parties every year and she helps with it even. I have tried to draw closer to mom, but she keeps her distance. And she has no reason to, i have done nothing to her. This is just the way she is. I think mom is depressed too worrying too much over my half-sister.
    Honda309

Answer by Honda309 at 6:21 AM on Apr. 8, 2011